Can i add a line on ATT to get new discounted iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apalmer, Aug 18, 2010.

1. apalmer macrumors newbie

Recently my iphone 4 was stolen, and of course i bought it under a 2-year contract agreement. Right now i am using my old 2g iphone that is just about to fall apart in its place. I was wondering however, if i did an add line (still will be only me using the service) and received the newer iphone 4 for a discounted price would i be able to reduce the old iphones line to a no data plan/no sms line by using an old non-smartphone in its place(swap sim)? SO basically my goal here is to pay only $9.99 more every month in order to buy an iphone 4 at the discount price. Will that work? Any reasons to think of that might cause this to backfire?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Not sure how it will work. In order to buy a new iPhone 4 for the full discount price, you'll need a new 2 year contract. You'll also still have your existing 2 year contract. So, really.. it's spending thousands of dollars to save hundreds.

3. apalmer thread starter macrumors newbie

actually more of wht i was thinking at this point is that i could hopefully sell the iphone 4 in order to pay for the ETF, and if i don't do that i figure that a new 2 year contract at 9.99 would only amount to $240 extra, which is better than paying 500 right now for a new phone.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You can add a second line to your account for $9.99/month and you have to upgrade your account to a family plan with shared minutes (if your going to have two phone under one account, you are required to have a family plan), once you do this, you remove the old iPhone from the account and just like you said, use a cheap non smartphone in its place.

You will get the new iPhone for the discounted price of $199. The cheapest individual rate plan starts at $39.99, but the cheapest Family Plan starts at $59.99. So your monthly bill will increase around $30 a month ($20 for the rate plan + $9.99 additional line) and you will be spending about $720 more in the next 24 months.

5. Gjamm00 macrumors newbie

The $59.99 family plan includes 2 lines. I think $9.99 extra is for the 3rd line. So, you pay only $20/mo extra.