Can I add an additional monitor to iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rhobes, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hi All-

I would like to add an external monitor to my iMac, I would like it to be at least as good as the current 17" flat panel display I have. I'm not sure but think this is possible and am looking for recommendations as to what I need if this is possible.

This is what I originally bought: Model M8812 iMac, 800 MHz PowerPC G4 with 1GB SDRAM, 80GB HD, 17" widescreen TFT LCD 1440x900, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics support with a mini-VGA output port, and a 400 Firewire port.

This is the upgrade I had done by Daystar Technologies; 1.35GHz, XLR8 MAChSpeed G4 7457 CPU+512 Cache. I am currently running Leopard 10.5.5 and have a 200GB external HD.

I need more monitor space for use in building websites and running Photoshop. Any compatible suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to match or better(if possible) my current monitor in quality and have one at least the same size or bigger.

Will the additional monitor work as if it is a continuation of my current 17" monitor, thereby acting as one large desktop? Drag/move files across both of them? TIA

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Well, your link says the patch supports my iMac but no mention about Leopard. There hasn't been anyone posting there for months to years. I e-mailed the originator of the patch and asked him if it will work on my system with Leopard. Wait & see if I get a reply.

Thanks for the link-

4. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

I'm running a 19" LG and it works great and has a great picture. Cheap too, about $170 at Best Buy.
    Yes it is one big desktop and you can drag and drop to each monitor. I use mine for building and admin of websites too.

[​IMG]

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Keep in mind we're talking about an iMac G4 here.

6. Lamonster macrumors regular

Lamonster

Shows how much I know about macs. Sorry :(