Can I add one more ethernet port to rMBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jan 21, 2013.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, for my application, I need my rMBP 15" to connect to the network via ethernet. At the same time, I also need to connect it to an embedded device running linux via "direct" ethernet connection. Is there a way to add one more ethernet port to the rMBP? I noticed that there are two Thunderbolt ports on my laptop. One is connected to the ethernet via a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. The other one is unused. Do you think adding another Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter will work well? What other options do I have?

I tried to a switching hub but it does not work. Thanks.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Have you tried a USB Ethernet Adapter?

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Two Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapters will work. Depending on your network config you may have to do static IP to get the routing you need, but the rMBP will understand that it has the 2nd TB adapter available.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Anybody tried this configuration under Fusion 5 and Bootcamp Windows? Does it work? I am running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. Thanks.

----------

Sounds interesting. For high speed internet, is the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter faster than the USB Ethernet Adapter? The one you suggested is USB 2.0. My rMBP uses USB 3.0. Thanks.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You'll have to shop around to find the one you want. I just linked to the first one that came up.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

USB adapter runs at 10/100 and the Thunderbolt runs at GigE. Just 10 times faster :)

And yes, it runs under Fusion5 64 Bit win7. You just have to bind the second adapter to the VM config in settings for the VM.