Can I add tons of albums to iTunes' library without it replacing existing songs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by motulist, Jul 19, 2007.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I have 2 computers with different iTunes libraries which repeat many of the same albums, but also contain many unique albums not in the other library. I want to combine the libraries onto a single computer, but I want iTunes to add just the songs which it doesn't already contain, because I don't want it to reanalyze my entire library over again which takes forever. Is there a way I can drag and drop a whole folder full of albums onto iTunes and have it just add the songs which don't already exist? I have way too many albums for me to sort by hand which already exist and which don't.

Possible?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No itunes as far as I know and because it does it to me all of the time will add a song to a library twice if it is not in the same location that you added it from.

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Well, that's not quite my problem. What I'm planning on doing is dragging the albums from Mac A into the folder containing the albums on Mac B, and I'll just tell it to not replace any folders with the same existing name. I don't keep my songs organized the iTunes way of:

V Artist
    ..... > Album 1
    ..... > Album 2

I keep them organized like:

> Artist - Album 1
    > Artist - Album 2

So combining the albums into 1 folder wont be a problem. However, if I then select all and drag and drop them all onto iTunes, will it reimport and reanalyze the albums that already existed in that location and already were imported into iTunes' library?