Can I ask a favor? This really means a lot to me. (Goya's Ghosts)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jade Cambell, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

Alright here's the story. Most of you probably don't know this, but Milos Forman (the Academy Award winning director of Amadeus and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) recently directed a new film called Goya's Ghosts.

I was skeptical about it because rottentomatoes.com showed that the critics gave it a 29% out of 100%. A score like that is considered nightmarishly low. Only films like Norbit or Bratz make it into that category. The lowest score i've ever seen a 95%+ deserving film get, is 70% or 75%. Not 29%!!!

So, after watching the trailer many times and being very impressed by it, I was confused as to why the critics were giving it the reviews that they were. I knew that trailers can be misleading, but still, it looked really good.

So yesterday, I watched the film. It shared many things with Forman's earlier Best Picture winners from the 70's and 80's. Mainly:

Flawless costume design. Breathtaking acting. Music utilized in such a way as to enhance the emotion in many scenes, by having it enter on the beat of a door closing, or heighten the intensity of a characters dialog. And last but certainly not least, a way of directing the scenes and structuring the film that makes it completely void of boring moments. That's right, not a single boring second, from beginning to end.

So now, with the film being over, I had a huge grin on my face, because this was obviously a work of a matured Milos Forman (23 years after he directed the eternal masterpiece Amadeus). However, I was also pissed off because it became frighteningly clear that some critic somewhere, or a group of critics, intentionally made his film fail. This film should've been at the Oscars in 2007.

Milos Forman comes out with the next Amadeus, and nobody knows, because the critics slammed it. So now, the favor I ask of you is this:

Please, when the DVD is released on February 26th in the U.S., buy six copies of it. One for yourself, and five for friends. Give them away. Make sure each of your friends watches the copy you give them, and buys five more to give to their friends.

If just five of us begin this process by buying six DVD's each, within 5 layers, 80,000 DVD's will be sold.

I beg of you to participate in this motion to bring this modern masterpiece into the public eye, and i'll tell you why it means so much to me and why it's so important to me that this is done. I'm an aspiring Film Maker, and I know that if I made a film like Goya's Ghosts, and it bombed because critics gave it a score that presents it as a film on par with Norbit, i'd want the public to protest by purchasing rediculous amounts of DVD's and spreading them throughout the country. The score that the critics gave this film is so unrealistic it's inconceivable. Something went wrong! That much is clear. And it's not fair to Milos Forman. He's my favorite director, and I want him to be able to make a new film soon.

I myself will be buying 10 copies of the DVD on February 26th when it's released.

Thanks for your support.

p.s. I am not Milos Forman, Saul Zaentz, Natalie Portman, Javier Bardem, or any other person affiliated with making Goya's Ghosts. Nor am I even related to any such person.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Give me the money and I'll consider it.

But, um. Yeaaaah.

No.

I've got a big one for Futurama - that show got canned, but you don't see me asking people to buy 6 copies of it. Just 5. You need to know where to draw the line, buddy. :rolleyes:

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I've never even heard of that movie. When did it come out? Amadeus was my favorite movie, by the way...

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't know or care for the movie sorry. And I wouldn't buy my fave films more than once...

5. calculus Guest

calculus

I'm not doing it, the reviews were terrible ...

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Never heard of the film.

Might watch it -- but doubt it.

7. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Cukoos is one of my all time favs. I'll netflix it, hows that.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah we'll I'll Netflix it 6 times! How's that?!

9. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

It came out in 2006. If Amadeus is your favorite movie, then you'll be with me on this one.

10. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

:confused: Is this a wind-up? Or some peculiar chain-letter type of thing?

11. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

To the OP: Do you really think that anyone is going to buy six copies of a DVD on your say-so?

I saw the film a few months ago. I thought it was pretty good, but ultimately undermined by Natalie Portman's performance.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This thread is pretty strange. I wouldn't buy a bunch of DVDs of one film for any reason. I'm not trying to be mean, but this thread just seems weird.

13. bluesjam macrumors member

I'll buy one sure.
    By the way where does the story come from.
    I liked the cuckoo's nest movie only because the novel is one of my all time favorite. Though Ken Kasey (author of the novel) denounced the movie and he himself never watched it.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i still dont understand why you care so much tbh even though you state you care because you are a film maker.

anycase i probably wont be buying one let alone six of the same movie.

sorry

15. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If someone came up to me on the street and asked me nicely to buy 6 copies of a film I had never heard of then it would only be polite to do so. This is much the same! You are just being rude!

16. shecky Guest

shecky

so you give money to strangers who ask you nicely for it just to be polite? what's your home address.. ill be waiting on the street to meet you when you leave as i need some help paying my student loans down.

and for the record i think this thread is diabolical.

17. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I only buy DVDs for them.

I agree :D

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A distinguished film reviewer (ok it was me) called the film "impressive historical fiction."

I agree that the critics were misguided. Maybe they should stick to more conventional movies that they'll understand.