Can I Boot Windows Vista from my dead windows laptop's hard drive to my MacBook pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Richey Villa, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Richey Villa macrumors newbie

My HP windows vista laptop recently died and I have recovered the HDD from the dead lapop. I have ordered an enclosure to convert it to an external USB powered HDD. Is it possible to boot Windows Vista to my Mac from this external HDD? If there is a method to do this? Any help would be really appreciated :)

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You won't be able to boot from the external hard drive but you can browse the drive from your Mac to copy off any important data that you have.

3. Richey Villa thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for replying to my question. I shall just get the data of it then and format it to use as a normal external hard drive for my mac.

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

No problemo.

Out of curiousity, how did you HP laptop? Was it a fault or just from age? I've had an incredibly bad experience bad experience with my HP laptop dying but I'm unsure if I'm just an isolated case.

5. Gabik123 macrumors newbie

You won't be able to boot into the operating system with that drive mounted externally or inside of your computer. It would have to be installed through boot camp, which would necessitate wiping the drive

The best bet would be plugging the drive into an external enclosure and copying the files off the drive manually. I can't see any way to boot that drive outside of putting it into a windows PC that has VERY similar specs to the busted one - with macs, its pretty easy to install an OS on one computer and plug the drive into another, similar computer. With windows, the kernel tends not to like it and you will get a BSOD before even booting if you are trying to boot it through a computer that has specs that are significantly dissimilar to the one the drive came from.

6. Richey Villa thread starter macrumors newbie

The laptop was only 2 years old. It was a problem with the NVidia graphics chipset. After taking the laptop to a repair shop and reserching on the internet I found out there is a design fault with some NVidia chipsets. My laptop had one of these faulty chipsets. And there have been thousands of cases of this happening with HP laptops and other laptops. HP have recognised the fault on some laptop models and have repaired or compensated people, but they refused to admit it was a problem with my laptop. So they just fobbed me off. But because of Legislation in the UK where I live I managed to get the retailer (PC World) to refund me 55% of the cost of the laptop back to me. PC World admited the laptop had been sold to me with a design fault unlike HP. Never known such terrible customer service. They wanted me to pay £15 just to speak to a HP technician. If your out of warrenty they don't want to know. Terrible customer service. Decided to put the money towards getting a mac because I heard there realiable and I heard a lot of good things about them. So far I'm not dissapointed.

7. Richey Villa thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the reply Gabik. Think I will just do away with Windows Vista then and just extract the files. Was a terrible OS anyway.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note that while what Grannyville7989 and Gabik123 say is true, you can't boot natively to that drive, you MAY actually be able to boot up that hard drive in a virtual machine.

If there are any apps on there that you can't easily replace this may be worth it.

There are several ways to do this, for example: http://www.robertpeaslee.com/index.php/raw-image-to-vmdk-the-easy-way/

B