can I bring a 4S home from the USA and use it in the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by copydeskcat, Jan 3, 2012.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

This question has probably been asked a million times before, but can I buy an iPhone 4S in the USA and bring it home and use it in the UK with an O2 microsim?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

If you buy a factory unlocked, yes. You should have no issue at all.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Aslong as it's the unlocked version yes you can

4. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent - thanks guys.

My mate is in Vegas and is thinking of brining one back.

I'm tempted to get him to get me a Mac Mini too - I'm just curious about whether I would have issues with the power connector on it (and the warranty)?

5. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Can't help you with the power connector question, but Apple's warranty is worldwide so you wouldn't have any problems there.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The Mac Mini use a shaver cord style power connector, it's supply is universal so it'll run from 110-240VAC 50/60Hz
    http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
    You'll simply need a way to plug it in (2 prong, no GND)

7. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

As far as I know, non of Apple's products need a power converter to work in other countries, just a plug converter. As for the warranty, I'm not 100% certain on this, but I've read elsewhere that if you have an issue with the machine you'll have to send it back to the US for service.

8. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Superb - thanks guys.

As far as I can tell, Apple's Warranties are international on all products. I'll ask Apple UK just in case.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the 4S in the UK than paying $649+ for the unlocked 4S here in the US?

10. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Apple chat person says the warranty is not valid internationally on a Mac Mini, I would have to buy Apple Care. However, I spoke to the Glasgow Apple Store and they said they would honour the warranty as long as it had a serial number and a valid receipt.

11. iPhone Warrior macrumors member

I'm not sure about the Mac mini, but the iPhone warranty is limited to the original country of purchase. So if you have any issues with the iPhone it will need to be sent to someone you know in the US to be taken into Apple for evaluation. Then they will need to ship the phone back to you. Apple does not accept direct mail in repairs and this will all be at your expense. Search the apple.com forums and you will see MANY folks who are in that exact situation. Even Apple care does not extend the warranty to int'l. You're best to get the iphone locally.
    Good luck.

12. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

The Apple Store in Glasgow say they would honour the iPhone warranty as long as it had a valid serial number and a receipt. It's no skin off their nose, and they would never tarnish Apple's good customer service history by knocking back a customer with a genuine defect or fault in one of their products. Although, they would be right to dismiss lack of care or accidental damage.

I bought a bumper case in the USA before Apple announced the refund, and I brought it home with my receipt and asked for my money - they said I would have to go back to the States to get my refund, but I said I wasn't happy and they gave me the money (I told them I was happy to accept iTunes vouchers for it).

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Make sure your friend knows to go to an actual Apple store.

I'm pretty sure some of the carriers here sell high-priced contract-free phones, but those are often still locked to the carrier in question.

I'm not 100% sure that's true everywhere, but why take any chances?

14. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Of the three Apple Stores in Las Vegas, all of them are on Las Vegas Blvd. So as long as his friend goes to an Apple Store on Las Vegas Blvd., I'm sure he will be fine.

15. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

I think the Apple Store he's going to use is actually in his hotel. I'll find out which one it is, but I'm almost 100% certain it's an official Apple Store.

16. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

But silly that. What if you travel a lot or if you decide to emigrate? Are you supposed to sell a perfectly working phone?

17. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

£500 for an unlocked 4S here. That's US$780. So, no, it's not cheaper.

18. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I believe that is the Caesar's Palace Apple Store. Very cool.

19. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

AFAIK...iPhone does not have worldwide warranty, I would not know about factory unlocked ones (it could be possible).

20. CmdrThor macrumors member

What would the taxes be for importing an item like an iPhone or Mac Mini?

21. iPhone Warrior macrumors member

Here is a link to the iPhone warranty.
    http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone/

On page 2 it states:

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION
    Apple may restrict warranty service to the country where Apple or its
    Authorized Distributors originally sold the Apple Product.

22. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Key word being may. Seems they would be understanding if you emigrate or travel regularly. But if importing to save money maybe not so understanding and it'd be upto the store you deal with. That's how I read that.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Does the OP want an unlocked 4S? All he asked if he bought a 4S in the US could it work in the UK which people answered he would have to buy the unlocked version.

I(wrongly?) assumed that it would be cheaper to buy the 4S in the UK since it would be subsidized vs buying the unlocked 4S in the US.

24. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, he wants an unlocked 4S, which costs £499 in the UK. It's $649 (plus tax) in the USA (Nevada Tax in Vegas is 8%, so he would pay around $700, which is around £450 at current exchange rates).

The chances of paying import tax on the phone or the Mac Mini are almost negligible.You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty - the customs people are only interested if you're bringing back hoards of electronics to sell on for a profit. They're never going to hammer someone for something like this. I've been to the USA 12 times in the past nine years and I've brought back iPods, iPads, Nintendo DSs, SatNavs - and I've never, ever once been stopped. You can also split the allowance across a group, if your luggage is shared.

The Mac Mini I'm looking at is £657.60 (which includes a discount I get of 6% in the UK).

The spec is:

Mac Mini
    2.5ghz processor
    4GB memory
    500GB hard drive
    No accessories or other modifications.

On the Apple USA website, that same Mac Mini is priced at $799.00. State tax takes the price of the Mini up to about $863 (or about £551 at current exchange rates). In which case, I'm better getting it upgraded to 8gb memory - which takes it up to $999 + tax, which takes it to $1078 (or about £688 - which is only £30 more than the lower spec model).