Can I burn a AVCHD DVD to play on Blu Ray player through FCS2?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BigSky20, May 3, 2009.

1. BigSky20 macrumors regular

I am looking to purchase FCS2, but wanted to confirm that I can create a AVCHD DVD through DVD Studio Pro to play on a Blu Ray player without the need for outside software. Thanks for your help!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Apple does not support BR in any way, shape, or form right now nor does any Apple software support native editing of AVCHD.

Lethal

3. BigSky20 thread starter macrumors regular

I definitely understand the non native support and that CS4 and Encore is basically our only option in one software package. However, I saw that you can burn HD content on a DVD with DVD Studio Pro, so I wasn't sure if this would be similar quality to a AVCHD DVD or if it would downgrade the video to DVD quality.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can burn a short, quasi HD-DVD (not BR) disc using DVD SP and a regular DVD, but the playback is limited to other intel Macs and some Toshiba HD-DVD players. As far as quality goes, I'm not sure 'cause I've never messed around w/that function.

Lethal

5. JasonA macrumors member

Roxio Toast 9 or 10 can author Blu-Rays onto DVD media.

6. giffut macrumors 6502

Unfortunately ...

... for serious Bluray editing you must use Adobe Encore - if you own the Adobe Master Package or similar, of course.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Here is what you will have to do. It's not all that hard....

You transcode the AVCHD data to "Apple Intermediate Codec" This will make the files huge but that is good because quality is not lost. Then you edit your video.

Later to burn the data to bluray you will need a real hardware bulray burner. Or you can use Roxio Toast to burn the data to DVD but I'm not sure if all players will be able to read theat. I'm pretty sure my Sony bluray player can. I think you can fit about 20 minutes of HD movie footage on a DVD.

8. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

This is a little wrong it'll play on PPC Macs just fine. The Quality is pretty darn good.
    If you have HDV assets they don't need to be re-encoded for a HD-DVD of this sort as the HDV mpeg structure conforms to the HD-DVD standard, which is nice.

But in the end your better to use Adobe. Or wait till the next version of FCP studio (in June, at least we hope it will be June)

9. BigSky20 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a bad feeling fcs3 will not be released until the fall (couple months after snow leopard's release date. I hope this is not the case, but I am waiting to buy FCS2 until June to find out.