Can I burn music videos from itunes to DVD disc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bob2131, Aug 1, 2009.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi, i purchased some videos from itunes, not movies, just music videos.
    Can I burn them to a dvd disc to watch on tv with dvd players?

My itunes is only talking about data dvds.

Thanks.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Unfortunately no, all of the videos still have DRM on them still. :(

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

damn that sucks.

and they complain when people illegally download.
    grr.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Incorrect.

If the music videos have been purchased since the iTunes Plus transition, there is no DRM. I know my music videos are DRM free.

From the Apple site:
    However you'll need to convert the files to a VIDEO_TS format to play on a normal DVD player. I know Toast can do this, and there are a thousand other ways. Try Google.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I stand corrected. :p All my videos are "pre-transition".

6. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

Actually, the music video situation on iTunes is much like the music situation pre-all-or-nothing-conversion: some have DRM and some are iTunes Plus without DRM. If you're going to buy a video with the intention of burning it, make sure it's Plus (denoted by the + next to the price). If you already own it, make sure it says "Purchased MPEG-4 video file," not "Protected MPEG-4 video file," in the Kind column in the browser or in Kind in the Summary tab of Get Info.

There's no facility to burn video within iTunes, but the Plus versions of videos can be burned using most DVD creation software, including iDVD. Good luck!

7. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I hope QuickTime X in Snow Leopard would allow users to capture the screen & internal sound. If so, I plan to save old 80's music videos from MTV.com to play on my MBP. :D I know there are apps for it now, but I'm too cheap to pay.

8. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah mine say "protected"... tried burning dvd and playing on dvd player, wouldnt work.

thanks for info.

9. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

I don't know if you check for iTunes Plus upgrades, but confirm there aren't any for your videos. Additionally, and angrily, the music videos are fairly poorly organized. There are often Plus and DRM versions of the same video. If they add the Plus version to the Store instead of replacing the DRM version with the Plus version, it doesn't appear to trigger the upgrade process. Look for the videos you want to burn, there may be Plus versions (but you'll have to repurchase them). Grrr.

10. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

youre right youre right!
    i do recall now ,them sending me an email saying i can download a diff format for free...i was wondering yesterday why i had two copies of each video.
    Ive just checked, the other version says "purchased". Im assuming this is DRM free as the other first download says "protected".

Right, so would i have to make a back up disc first? and then use a diff dvd burning programme? would there be any kind of converting taking place?
    or can i just use itunes to make a dvd disc ?