Can i buy a new IMac from the Apple refurbished store?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GreatDane63, Oct 24, 2012.

1. GreatDane63 macrumors newbie

I use my DVD drive almost daily. With the new 2012 Imac lacking an Optical Disk Drive (DVD/CD) I was wondering if anybody knows if I can buy a "new" 2011 IMac (with an ODD) from the Apple Refurbished store and guarantee that is is a "new" ie: unused machine. My spouse will not accept a "used" machine, even with a warranty and Apple Care, etc......

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can't guarantee that a refurb model was never used.

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

3. GreatDane63 thread starter macrumors newbie

So all "new" IMac's that Apple has on hand will be sold as "refurbished"?

Is there any other way to buy a "new" 2011 IMac?

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Some third party retailers may have remaining inventory. Check MacMall.

5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

The Apple retail stores will continue selling the 2011 iMacs until sold out, or the 2012s arrive. I checked with my local store, and the 21" supply is thin, but they have a bigger supply of the 27 inchers, including the i7 CTO model, all still at ful price.

Also, the local authorized Apple reseller has their remaining iMacs at a discount.

6. James twinli macrumors newbie

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not necessarily. Refurbs are primarily items that were returned to Apple. Some are returned after use; some are returned unopened.
    3rd party retailers may still have some in stock.

8. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the US, but the Apple stores in Canada have them. The 27" i7 is $2099 Cdn, and they have a few in stock locally. I'm trying to decide whether to get an i7, or wait for the 2012s. Personally, I like the 2011 design better.

9. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

I was wondering the same thing. I have seen, for example, the 2011 base iMac w/ the same specs going for either $979 or $999. I wonder if the latter would be it's 'new'?