Can I buy a warranty within 30 days of buying a mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WizardHunt, Mar 26, 2009.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Hi,
    I am curious, if I was to buy a iMac and wanted to decide later on ( like within 30 days or even 7 days), can I buy a warranty for the imac after I bought it from Apple?

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

If you are talking about Applecare, you have 1 year after your purchase date to buy Applecare.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, AppleCare does not have to be purchased at the same time as a Mac. You have up to 1 year after the original purchase date to buy and activate AppleCare for the Mac. Although the 3 year warranty will be from the time of purchase of the Mac, rather than the time of activation.

4. markgodley macrumors regular

Cant believe this! Apple has annoyed me.

I wanted to buy a laptop from a local reseller they would give me the student discount, but wouldnt give me the discount for applecare. So i came home and rang apple and said if i bought the macbook from the store and came home and bought the apple care from them. She said no i have to buy apple care at the time of purchase!

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

The person you spoke with on the phone is sadly misinformed. As stated earlier in the thread, AppleCare can be purchased and activated anytime within the first year of purchasing the unit.

You can activate online with no waiting, no hassle. Do that instead.

6. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

True...you can purchase applecare within the first year of the purchase...however, if you want a discount to the applecare (i.e. Buy a Mac Pro...applecare costs $249....at the time of purchase, its only $199. Also covers the LED Monitor if you buy it together btw)

You get the discount on applecare at the time of purchase. Once you walk out the door, the deal is withdrawn.

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Perhaps. But the poster mentioned the student discount (aka, the education discount). This is available year-round, online and in-store, and it was to that which I was responding.

Having purchased my MB with educ. discount from a reseller in Oct., and then AppleCare with educ. discount from the same reseller in Jan., I can confirm with 100% certainty that this is true.

8. mrj205 macrumors regular

The 90 day limited warranty on new macs is the same coverage as applecare. However, after 90 days, you are only covered if applecare is purchased. If you can swing it, it would be best to purchase the apple care with your new mac, since it is only 36 months of coverage from the mac purchase date, rather than 36 months of coverage from the applecare purchase date.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It took 2 seconds to find the info. Quicker than typing up the post.

Read the Apple Care FAQ on this page.
    http://www.apple.com/support/applecare/overview/

WRONG.

New or refurb: 90day phone support. 1 year warranty on parts and labor.
    With Apple Care: total 3 year phone, parts, labor.

10. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

After long consideration, I only think Applecare is worth it on systems
    worth over $1500 or so. By the time the year is up on a MB, for example,
    I just don't think the risk/return is worth it. I'll take the risk and use the
    $200 or so towards a new machine if the worst happened.

I have had really good luck with Apple products-my ibook is still goings strong after 5 years!

11. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The standard warranty on new Macs is one year, not 90 days.

12. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

also, applecare with student discount is heavily discounted when bought at the same time.

when i was buying my macbook applecare was £200, £150 with student discount and £50 when bought at the same time

13. raclotz macrumors member

raclotz

you can buy extended warranty on the last day of your existing warranty... dont make the mistake of not buying it...

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

As long as you activate it the same day. If you don't activate it, you're just as bad off as if you'd never bought it. Dont make the mistake of not activating it...

15. SecondDealer macrumors regular

If you by an imac your limited warranty last for 365 days from the date of purchase and as long as you buy Apple Care and activate it within that time period it will protect you for the next three years. No matter when you buy / activate you it will protect you until three years after your original warranty runs out. Check Ebay for a better price than Apple will offer you but be careful of scams

16. jdechko macrumors 68040

That should be 3 years from the original purchase date.