can i buy an iPhone from the States and use it in Europe?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sk3pt1c, Apr 22, 2010.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

hi peoples,
    i'll be coming over to the US this summer for a cousin's wedding and since it'll be in late july i thought about getting the new iPhone....
    question is, i've read that things are pretty tight with telecoms over there so can i just buy the device on its own without registering for a plan?
    and if i can do that, will it work with my network back in Greece or is it locked?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why dont you buy an unlocked one from Greece?
    Then you can use it on any carrier. The iphones in the US are locked to AT&T and without contract go for $600. Unless you're really lucky you wont find one with the old 3.1.2 firmware in order to jailbreak and unlock it.

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

hold on, even without a contract they're locked to AT&T ?

well it takes like a month for them to come over to greece, so i thought it'd be cool to have it before anyone else, plus i thought they were cheaper there like most things but i guess i was wrong huh?

guess i'll have to wait for them to come over, i'll probs have to pay like €300-ish for the top model with the "gift" thingy i get for renewing my contract

thanks!

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes even the full price out of contract iPhones sold in the US are still locked to AT&T.
    Kalhtera pare apo cosmote h vodafone apo ellada file. Edo ta poulane Kai akriva Kai klidomena. Kai meta prepei na prosexeis me jb Kai unlock hacks. Ponokefalos sketos.