Can I buy an iPhone in US to work in Thailand?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gniss39, Jun 28, 2009.

1. gniss39 macrumors regular

Hey guys I got a question for you guys that I hope you can answer. One of my friends is here in the US working to send money back to his family in Thailand where he is originally from. He won't be going home for a couple of years but would like to buy an iPhone as a graduation present for his son's graduation back in Thailand. What would be the best way to accomplish this? Should he buy an unlocked phone here in the US or should he send money to his son to go buy an iPhone himself in Thailand? I hope there is a solution for this and the phone doesn't have to be in Thai, English is fine. Thanks in advance!

2. siratherock macrumors newbie

Hi, I am from Thailand but living in the US. I once owned iphone 2g, and was eligible to upgrade when 3gs came out. So, I sent my used iphone to Thailand and sold it for 300 US dollars (used). I heard that the new iphone 3g in Thailand is about 20000 baht (around 600-700 US dollars)!. So if I were you I would buy it here and sent to Thailand. However, to get it at a cheap price without a contract would have to be by ebay. Hope this helps a little.

3. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

eBay would be your only recourse, but I'd be careful--people can be scam artists. Also, a US iPhone would be illegally unlocked, as the only official iPhone seller in the US is AT&T.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's not illegal to unlock a phone in the US, but it will void your warranty.