Can I buy an iPhone X at the Apple Store today if my online preorder Is “Preparing for Shipment”?

dachshundx

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2016
I preordered an iPhone X online several days ago, and while standing in line at the Apple Store, my preorder was just updated to “Preparing for Shipment” and the “Cancel” option is gone from the order status page. Can I still purchase a new iPhone X today at the store, and either cancel or return the one I preordered?

Shadowbech

macrumors 601
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
I preordered an iPhone X online several days ago, and while standing in line at the Apple Store, my preorder was just updated to “Preparing for Shipment” and the “Cancel” option is gone from the order status page. Can I still purchase a new iPhone X today at the store, and either cancel or return the one I preordered?
Once it goes to preparing for Shipment stage, your card should have been charged and you cannot cancel the order. You will have to wait for it to be delivered then return it.

dachshundx

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2016
Once it goes to preparing for Shipment stage, your card should have been charged and you cannot cancel the order. You will have to wait for it to be delivered then return it.
Understood, but does that mean I can’t buy one at the store today?

oneteam

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
Visit site
Yes, you can still buy one at the store. You can return the other one once you receive it. Assuming that you are buying upfront, I'm not sure how would it work if you are financing it.

Shadowbech

macrumors 601
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
What do you mean by “device only”? I would like to buy it through the iPhone Upgrade Program. Thanks!
So device only is as if you purchase full price. When you pre-ordered, did you choose to the the iUP? Then I don't think you can buy it on apple store using the iUP because the phone that was shipped is probably now on iUP, and when they run your info again it shows on their system.

dachshundx

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2016
So device only is as if you purchase full price. When you pre-ordered, did you choose to the the iUP? Then I don't think you can buy it on apple store using the iUP because the system already shows that you are currently on it and you can only have 1 iUP per line.
Got it. Thanks for your help! And yes, I did pre-order it through the iUP.