Can I buy an SE now or is a new model coming out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scaramoosh, Mar 3, 2017.

  1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502a

    Nov 30, 2014
    I hated my 6S ever since I moved from my 5S, it's just too big and thin... I just want a small thicker phone I can hold better in one hand. My 6S for whatever reason has the worst battery life of any iPhone I've ever had, I've sent it back twice and nothing has helped, my 5s used to last me 2-3 days. My 6s is out of battery by the time 6pm comes along. I sent it back twice but it hasn't helped...

    I just want to go back to a size I like and I heard the SE had better battery life than the 6s. However I don't want to buy one for a new model to come out, especially since the price will drop on the SE.

    What's happening? Is it just a new 128GB storage upgrade so they can charge you more money, or is it a full upgrade?

  2. JM macrumors 6502a


    Nov 23, 2014
    who knows?

    Try to hold out another few weeks to know for sure.
  3. jblagden macrumors 65816


    Aug 16, 2013
    Since the iPhone 7 doesn’t have a headphone jack, I’d be worried about Apple removing the headphone jack in the iPhone SE. Sure, they might keep it there so the SE can be the iPhone for change-averse iPhone owners (myself included). But the way Apple’s been about removing ports these last few years, I’d be very worried about the possibility that they might remove the headphone jack. If I were you, I’d buy the SE right now. You could also wait until the iPhone event in the fall and see what the SE will be like and make your decision then. They’ll probably still sell the current SE while they’re showing off the new SE.
  4. casperes1996 macrumors 68040


    Jan 26, 2014
    Horsens, Denmark
    By the sound of rumours, it'll only be a new storage tier, yes. But it's really early for speculations still, as the iPhone event has been scheduled for the Fall the past many years. We're most likely looking at sometime around September.
    Whilst I personally really like my 6, and wouldn't want to go to a smaller size after getting used to it, I understand your perspective, and can assure you the SE is a great phone, and the battery life is phenomenal. My dad has one and a full charge lasts him a bit more than 3 days. Though he's not exactly a power user.
  5. jesusrexx macrumors newbie

    Feb 19, 2011
    I'm in the same predicament as well. I was about to order the SE 2 days ago but I decided to check this site and now here I am not wanting to miss out on any kind of update. I'm still on a 5 and I'm not interested in any of the new devices as I am in love with the 5 design but the battery on this thing has been super unreliable lately, and understandably so. I'm not waiting until September though. If nothing "new" regarding the SE is announced in the rumored upcoming event, then I am definitely buying the current one.
  6. thadoggfather macrumors G4


    Oct 1, 2007
    Since it's march if you wanna gamble get one now

    If there's an se2 in two weeks or less return it. If it's a storage bump and/pr price drop, evaluate getting a partial refund or moving up.

    That's what I'd do
  7. Relentless Power, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

    Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Jul 12, 2016
    The iPhone SE is only rumored to have a storage increase. Even if you were to purchase an iPhone SE now and in hopes of getting a revamped SE in two weeks, that would be highly unlikely, being from the time it would be available for release and it actually ships and received would put the other SE out of the return period.

    And there hasn't been a March KeyNote confirmation yet. There is some speculation that the March KeyNote may not happen, which has also been contested.

    OP, In theory, I would just wait it out and see what Apple has the offer.
  8. myrtlebee macrumors 68020


    Jul 9, 2011
    Unfortunately this is not the case, online at least. Whenever Apple does a keynote the online store is down, and when it returns after the event it has all of the new products and not the old unless they decide to continue selling that particular older product. That said, a person could still go to a physical Apple Store and buy one during or right after the keynote.
  9. Breaking Good macrumors 65816

    Sep 28, 2012
    This is just my US$0.02, but if I were in the market for a new smartphone right now, I would wait until the second half of March to decide on a purchase.

    There are rumors of a storage bump in the iPhone SE. From what I've seen, many of Apple channel partners (e.g., Best Buy, Target, Walmart, B&H Photo) tend to offer good deals on recently discontinued models. So if Apple were to move to 32GB and 128GB storage options, it is quite possible that you may see deals on the 16 GB and 64 GB models.

    It will also be the end of the calendar quarter with nothing to push sales. So I've tended to see good deals at such times.

Share This Page

8 March 3, 2017