Can I buy AppleCare at the discounted price now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RetepNamenots, Jul 8, 2009.

1. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

Hi, quick question (I hope)

I was going to purchase a Macbook Pro 15" when I started university, using the UK university discount. This would have meant that I would have been covered with a 3-year warranty for free.

However, a stranger (Don't ask) bought me a free MBP 17", not using the University discount. This means that it is covered only for 1 year.

Because it will be taken to University for a 3-year course, I ideally need it covered for the three years. To do this, I need to purchase AppleCare. If I had bought the laptop myself and bought Applecare at the time, it would have cost £57.50. However because the laptop was bought without the student discount, it would cost me £216.20 just to get the extra 2 years cover.

Is there anything I can do?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's worth it and yes, you can get a student discount

3. RetepNamenots thread starter macrumors 6502

According to the Apple Store chat, the answer is no.

Which is a completely stupid policy, since Apple have got more money from us, and even though I am a student, we are entitled to far less cover?

It really doesn't make any sense.

4. amoda macrumors 6502a

Count your blessings that you received a free 17" Macbook Pro?

Cost of 15"+ 57.5 pound Apple Care=much much more than 216.20 pound Apple Care.

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

The discounted AppleCare (which works out at £66 after VAT is added) has to be bought at the time of the purchase – so if you bought the machine and got the HE discount, but didn’t pay for the AppleCare, but went back the next day because you changed your mind, you would still be out of luck.

Although I appreciate what you’re saying about spending more and getting less cover, to get the free three-year warranty and/or discounted AppleCare someone needs to buy the Mac through a defined process.

Where was the MBP bought? If it was bought from a physical Apple Store, then personally I would try that avenue (that the person didn’t realise that I could get the machine cheaper and get free warranty etc.) as politely as I could. Bit of a long shot, but there might be some manager’s discretion here. Otherwise you’re stuck – not much of a consolation, but you do have a year until you need to register extra protection.

6. RetepNamenots thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Just come back from trying the Apple store; they were all up for allowing me to return it to them, and then buy it back with the student discount (and therefore get the free 3 year warranty, free iPod Touch, and free printer), until they discovered that it was bought from an authorised premium reseller.

I understand that this is their policy, but it makes little sense; Apple ultimately have more money than they would have if I had bought it with the education discount, yet are giving me less in return. I pointed this out to the store manager, who just said "well that's how it is".

The final suggestion from the store manager was to try telephoning Sales directly, and asking them if they could make an exception. I'll try, but I'm doubtful that it'll work.

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

Ah, I should have asked if it was from a reseller. That doesn’t sound too hopeful, but good luck – btw from anecdotal experience, the response you get from the phone lines can differ a lot, so I wouldn’t necessarily take the first answer…