Can I buy from Education store US if I'm from the UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karansaraf, Jan 13, 2011.

1. karansaraf macrumors regular

If I go to the USA this summer, would I be able to buy a Macbook Pro from the Apple Education store (showing them my student ID) even though I'm a student in the UK and get educational discount price for it?

And if I buy the 3 year Apple Care plan, will it be valid in the UK? I know Apple's 1 year warranty is worldwide, regardless of where you purchased the item from, but does this extent to Apple Care?

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

You can try, but its unlikely - you never know though (youd need to buy it in the Apple Store, you cant purchase it from Apple US Education Online) - if your at a UK university you may qualify for a larger discount (Search Apple UK HE Routing or some combination of that to find the link).

3. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I know that the AppleCare is valid worldwide; I checked this lastweek at my local Apple store in Covent Garden to check on AppleCare for a MBA from Korea.

When I was in the US, I went to an Apple Store I asked if a student from the UK (myself) could get a student discount in the US. One person said yes, another said no... :confused:

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Exactly - its the luck of the draw (how glad I am to get an above-normal-education-discount as my uni partners with apple.... means I get stuff for us-edu prices or below in some cases).

5. MCMarshall macrumors newbie

Firstly any Apple laptop will be cheaper in the US than the UK regardless of if you're applying the education discount - assuming exchange rates don't change much in the next few months.

Secondly, you should be able to. My girlfriend bought a new MBA with her British university ID (she is American though).

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

We have the solution :D - put on an American Accent, and boom, "you gots yourselfs a cheapo Mac, huh?" (*Said In cheesy southern states accent*)