Can I buy iMac now or should I wait till 10.7 Lion release?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alwaysramu, Jun 20, 2011.

1. alwaysramu macrumors newbie

Will there be any difference if
    I buy iMac 21" now with 10.6 SL AND later upgrade to 10.7 Lion
    OR
    I buy the direct 10.7 lion installed iMac?

Please help....

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It will take awhile before Macs will ship with Lion. Apple must have plenty of old stock with SL and they are going to sell those with a code for free Lion upgrade. If you buy now, you get the chance of running SL in case Lion has issues etc.

3. alwaysramu thread starter macrumors newbie

THanks...
    But I want to know Will I have any problem after updating to Lion coz my system already have SL?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You shouldn't. There is a possibility of problems even if you didn't have SL installed.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Nope. According to all the buzz, SL is required to install Lion anyway (unless a computer comes with it already) :)

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is new to me. Not saying you're wrong, but I must have missed that point.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Lion is going to be distributed through the Mac App Store only, and the only way to get the Mac App Store is to be running Snow Leopard.

8. sauer228 macrumors member

I have an iMac that has SL and a MBP that only has Leopard. Are you telling me I won't be able to buy Lion on the iMac and make a disk and load it to my MBP?

9. seniorgeek macrumors member

He stated it correctly, to buy Lion one needs to get it from the App store, to do this one needs SL, you would then burn a disk to install it elsewhere.

10. Nanker/Phelge macrumors regular

If you buy a new iMac between 6/6/11 and the Lion release date you will receive a code for a free upgrade once it is made available.

11. lavino macrumors member

This is good news. I bought this just last Thursday. So I have to register this machine with the apple site first? Or will the apple care registration already have my info? I bought it from a local store though... not from Apple Store.. will that matter?

12. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I also ordered my imac last Thursday, but it was on Apple UK online store. If I can get a voucher for Lion than I'll have the best of both OS. I can run SL for few more months. And upgrade to Lion for free when its more mature and have better 3rd party support.

I've not received any emails about free upgrade though. A link to the source would be appreciate.

13. blevins321 macrumors 68030

HERE is a link to Apple's UpToDate program. Not many details yet, but it'll be posted there when it's decided on how it'll work.

14. Squicken macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know you can make a disk... Not sure if itll install on leopard tho

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/

16. AntDre20 macrumors newbie

i just purchased my iMac about a week ago and i never got a code so i can upgrade to Lion once it comes out.

did i miss something here???

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

You need to wait.

18. AntDre20 macrumors newbie

19. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

From this Apple Press Release, Mac OS X Lion With 250 New Features Available in July From Mac App Store:

The Mac OS X Lion Up-To-Date upgrade is available at no additional charge via the Mac App Store to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and the date when Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from Lion’s official release date to make a request. ​

20. mojo50 macrumors newbie

Lion upgrade

The upgrade is under 30 bucks so don't sweat it if you have to pay for it. I think I'll wait until the bugs are worked out anyway...

21. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I dont think anybody would sweat with $30 upgrade price. But getting it for free after purchase a $1000++ Mac is sweet, u know?

If u can get it for free, just claim it to Apple first. You can download it later after Lion updated and get bugfix

22. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Is this valid world wide or just in America?

*EDIT*

Never mind, just looked at Apple UK and the article looks pretty much the same just changed the prices to £35 so I assume it's the same. Ie. that bit about the free upgrade is exactly the same.

Thanks for the info. I was waiting for Lion but think I can go and order it now. WAITED SO SO SO LONG for everything to come together.

23. MCIowaRulz macrumors 6502

OK When I buy the iMac in August, (My Birthday) When is the NEW model going to come out? I worry I'll have buyers remorse. If a new one comes in September:(

24. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

The only change will be that it'll have Lion installed on it already. New iMac was released in May 2011 it'll be about a year until a new model is seen.

25. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I am itching to replace my 2007 iMac but will wait for 10.7 preinstalled. I know you get the code and all, but I would prefer to get the restore disk (DVD or USB) that will come with it. By getting a SL machine now, if I ever have to change the drive or any other clean install issue, I may have to restore to SL and then put on Lion. The only event that wouldn't require that is if I am doing a clean install from the same drive and using the restore partition. But I have to think that new machines will include physical DVD or USB media with Lion and iLife on them. It just seems silly to get a new machine so close to the release and have a SL restore disc.