Can I buy these discs to upgrade my Tiger Macbook to leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nihao1234, Sep 12, 2008.

1. nihao1234 macrumors member

2. glasserp macrumors regular

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If they are not the genuine Leopard retail discs that Apple sells over the counter then stay away from them. Those are restore discs and are machine specific. For example, if you have an early 2008 Macbook Pro and you have a late (say October) 2008 Macbook Pro you cannot share the restore discs as the machine that's not made for them will reject them.

4. nihao1234 thread starter macrumors member

but, to sum it up, if those disks are what they say they are, would they work in upgrading my tiger macbook 1.83 gHz to leopard?

thanks

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

It says they are from a new 2008 macbook, since your macbook has Tiger then obviously yours is not a new 2008 macbook, hence they will not work on your machine.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Grey disks are specific to the computer they came with. You need the retail DVD (with the big X on it).

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Most likely, no. The seller makes it clear that they are for 2008 machines. You don't have a 2008 machine.

Further more they are not licensed for your machine: they are only licensed for the machine they ship with. The seller is basically asking for Apple to sue him as he cannot sell those disks legally.

Just buy a retail copy. Retail copies are upgrades: they can only be installed on a Mac which shipped with Mac OSX so all retail copies are upgrades.

8. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION