Can I cancel my iphone4 data plan if I change to use a "regular" phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by newtoiphoneuser, Jun 8, 2011.

1. newtoiphoneuser macrumors newbie

Walmart has iphone for 147. I'm thinking of adding a line to my family plan to get the iphone4, and I'm going abroad in 2 months. Can I cancel my data plan after a month by switching to regular phone?

I have searched online, some say yes. some say no...

Example:
    "I've had ‪iphone‬ for roughly 14 months. Can i cancel the data plan, but keep the phone line, and switch to an older phone that i already have? If so, will it cost an early termination fee to do so? I'm on the second line of a family line so to just have the phone line would cost me like $10 a month as opposed to now which is $40 a month.

If you got the ‪iPhone‬ at the discounted price, the contract requires you to pay for the smart phone data plan for the entire 2 years of the contract regardless of the phone you use. Canceling the data plan will trigger the early termination fee."

If yes, when I call customer service. what should I tell them

Thanks in advance ;)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you're using an iPhone without a data plan they will eventually catch you. Evidently, they're cracking down on things.

3. newtoiphoneuser thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not going to use the iphone in America since I will be abroad. the phone using the "original" iphone line will be a feature phone. I'm just wondering if I can cancel the data after first month of service.

or would this violates the contract?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

usually the DATA portion of your contract is a contract on its own so you may have to pay to get out of it, only way you will know is ask your carrier

5. newtoiphoneuser thread starter macrumors newbie

the carrier is at&t

it doesn't matter if I buy it through walmart, the contract is the same right?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I bought mine through Best Buy.. Its the same as buying your phone/contract through AT&T or Verizon. The only difference is that your buying it at a Best Buy store and not an ATT/Verizon store.

8. newtoiphoneuser thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know if atnt's data portion is a contract on its own?

do you know if atnt's data portion is a contract on its own?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, the contract is only on the line.
    If you're not using an iphone you can remove the iphone data plan.
    But if you are using an iphone you cant use it without data. And the minimum requirement with AT&T is the $15 200mb data plan.