All iPads Can I change cell carrier on the I iPad Air or mini retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by golfman, Nov 21, 2013.

1. golfman macrumors newbie

If I purchased an iPad Air or an iPad mini retina with a certain cellular carrier (let's say Sprnt), can I change carriers if I want to later on? I've read a couple if different things about this...one said all I would have to do is change the SIM card to another carrier and that's all there is to it, I read somewhere else that there could be problems doing that. Can anyone clear this up for me! Thanks.

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Default Carrier: Supported Carriers (no hassle activation)
    Verizon: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Sprint: Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    AT&T: AT&T, T-Mobile
    T-Mobile: AT&T, T-Mobile

3. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I have a tmobile rmini but using a verizon sim with LTE signal.

4. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

yup get the AT&T model.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

How did you activate the SIM. From countless Air threads, getting Verizon to activate on a non-Verizon iPad is a major headache. However, if you have an already activated Verizon SIM card (from iPhone 5/5s/5c or iPad Mini), then you can just move it to the Air or rMini and it will work just fine.

----------

My recommendation would actually be either Verizon or Sprint depending on which one you're more likely to use and then just getting a SIM card from AT&T or T-Mobile.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

We'll I have a verizon mini so I just transferred the sim. I didn't have to change settings or anything on the apn.

7. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

We'll I have a verizon mini so I just transferred the sim to the retina mini. I didn't have to change settings or anything on the apn.

8. golfman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. How much do the carriers charge for their SIM cards. If lets say I got a Sprint version and walked into a Verizon Store asking for a SIM card does anyone know what it costs?

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Good luck getting Verizon to give you one. On ebay, $6 for the Nano SIM. However, you'd still need some way to activate it. If you've got a friend with a Verizon iPad, you can activate on his device and then just transfer the SIM back to your iPad. I checked out the Apple store and at least for the one in my area, all iPads on display are the wi-fi models.

AT&T: Depends on store but can be $0-$25
    T-Mobile: Depends on store but can be $0-10; $0-0.99 promotions on SIM kits often available online.

10. jeffmo macrumors member

Would there be any way to use my AT&T 5s nano sim in my Tmo Air? I keep trying to download APN profiles from unlockit.co.nz and none of them are working for me.

I'm pretty sure I've read posts about people getting their 5/5s nano sims to work in their cellular iPads.

Any thoughts? Because I'd love to use my grandfathered unlimited data plan on my Air!

11. harleymhs macrumors 6502

So do I understand this correct? If I bought an Ipad Air ( Verizon ) I can go to AT& T and get a sim card to put in my Ipad Air and now use ATT LTE if I want to and go back to Verizon if I needed to with the Sim that came with the unit?

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yep.

13. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Ok, So If I got an Ipad Air today on ATT then put in a Verizon Micro Sim ( which I have from another air ) will it let me choose a data plan or will it show up that this sim card is not for this unit? That's my real question sorry! Another question: i have att on my iphone can the new air on att share the data with the iphone? ( I have a shared plan now ) Thanks !!!!!

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

You'll have trouble activating an AT&T iPad on Verizon (keyword being activate). However, if you already have a working Verizon SIM (e.g. from a Verizon iPhone 5, iPad Mini or iPad Air), you can just move that to the AT&T iPad Air and it will work. Since pricing is the same on all models, you're better off getting a CDMA iPad and moving that to GSM carriers than trying to jump through hoops trying to do the reverse.

15. FLACRUISER99 macrumors newbie

I have an IPAD Air that was purchased at a Sprint store. An AT&T sim works fine. However a T-Mobile sim will not work, I have an activated T-Mobile sim from a T-Mobile store and the Air refuses to get the T-Mobile signal, also the sim works fine in a Iphone 5s. Anyone have any Ideas??:confused: