Can I Change My AT&T Rate Plan And Still Keep Unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconman515, Jun 11, 2010.

1. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I know that if you make changes to your data plan you can never get it back to unlimited again but what about my plan?

What if want to go say a package below where I am at right now can I do this and it not affect my unlimited? Or can II literally never make a single change whatsoever to my rate plan or anything again without losing unlimited?

thanks so much for info. :)

2. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

No problem making changes to your voice rate plan with no impact to your Unlimited Data plan/

Please note that if you have Rollover Minutes and you drop to a lower rate bucket you will only be able to rollover the limit of the new lower tier. So go from 700 to 500 and you have 1000 Rollover Minutes, you will be able to keep only 500.

Dave

3. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

I have 5,500 :cool:

So If I got from the 900 I am on right now to the one package below ALL of those rollover minutes go away except for whatever minutes are included in that monthly rate (if its a 700 minute plan I go from 5,500 to 700)?

4. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Yes, say hello new 700 Rollover in the bank.

Sorry but that is the official line. You can thank all the churners in the past. They would pick a high rate plan for month and get the bucket of Rollover and then drop down to the lowest Rollover plan and then "rinse and repeat" every few months.

Dave

5. Built macrumors 68020

But you can still "bank" the rollover minutes AFTER you change over and above the 700 you are permitted to carry over when you change plans, correct?

I think some people might misunderstand this to mean that changing the plan to a 700 minute plan will give you a rollover maximum of 700 minutes total.

Am I right, or wrong?

In any case, I'm sticking with my plan.

6. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

Ok perfect so I can do anything I want... change plans, change text plan, add / remove services as long as I never say I want to go to the new lower price data package I will be grandfathered into the $30 per month unlimited correct?

thanks again guys.

7. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

I would stop short of agreeing that you can "do anything". Just make sure that any voice rate plan you choose and any future device (iPhone or other Smartphone) are compatible / support your Unlimited data plan.

As an example: Tethering is not available with the iPhone Unlimited Plan so if you want that feature, you would have to switch to one of the new supported plans.

There are old AT&T Blue rate plans and features that have been active since the 90's but at some point your "Grandfather" plan will end, just not in near term.

Dave

8. geko29 macrumors 6502

That's what it says in the contract, but they don't always do it. I recently dropped from an old (no longer available) 850-minute rollover family plan to the lowest current rollover family plan (550 minutes), and I have 6,573 rollover minutes.

Not sure how many I had before the switch, but it certainly isn't 550 now. :) How long you've been on your current plan might be a factor--I was on the 850 for over 6 years.

9. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

holly crap 5,500! will you ever even use that???

10. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Anyone who has 5,500 minutes is throwing his money away. Why stick with a more expensive plan if you're never going to use it?

11. falconman515 thread starter macrumors 6502a

falconman515

A-List !!!

If I lose that there are 3 numbers I call ALL THE TIME with high talk times.... So if I go to a lower rate plan I will go over.

before a-list I was always right on the 900 minute mark and occasionally went over and now that I have A-List I am around 300 or so and I have like 500+ per month banking in my rollover since a-list released.

If I go to the lower 700 minutes I believe it is that plan doesn't have a-list and I will blow through 700 without it. My 900 minutes and higher are the only plans that have this feature anything below it doesn't.

So I am not wasting money in reality since a-list I am saving money not paying for overages and in turn just banking tons of rollover minutes.... but without the new feature I would be screwed and spending more still on the occasional overage months that I used to have. Not that its anyone's concern but just thought I would explain so you understand that not always people are wasting there money and to not jump to conclusions on everything you read. ;)

12. cx300 macrumors member

Everything that has been said is true. Believe it or not I just was looking at my office's plans And realized one plan had 33,000 rollover... needless to say we changed it right away and kept our $30 data