Can I change the startup disc in Leopard to boot from DVD and then...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by celticpride678, Jul 21, 2009.

1. celticpride678

I am having troubles booting from the Mac OS X Install Disc by holding down the "c" key at startup.

Can I change the startup disc in Leopard to the DVD and then change it back to Macintosh HD after I am done doing what I need to do with the disc (no, not a reinstall of the OS). Is this possible? Will it work? Thanks.

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Did you try holding down option? That should give you the choice of which to boot from at startup.

3. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Option,c

or

just Option?

Will it work for only once or permanently until changed?

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

just hold only the option key when you are booting. Selections should come up and you can select your OSX install dvd and boot into that if you want. The default disk (internal hard drive) will still boot normally if you don't hold option. But if you want to boot into the cd then hold option and select it at startup.

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

To answer the original question, yes you can select the DVD in the Startup Disk PrefPane and restart to boot from the Install Disc.

However if you are having trouble booting from the Install Disc using other methods, this one may not work either. Good luck.

6. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Thanks for the responses. I booted into the disk successfully using the option key method. Thanks for that.