Can I connect a hub to an airport express for wired devices?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ASFx, Mar 21, 2009.

1. ASFx macrumors regular

I have several devices in my living room that do not have wireless capability, but i'd like to get them on my network so they have network and internet access. (xbox 360, slingbox, directv box, receiver)

I currently have a time capsule which provides the internet connection to my network

Can I plug in an airport express behind all my components in the living room, then plug a 4 port hub into its ethernet port, then plug all my devices into that hub? Will all my devices have a functional wireless connection at that point?

2. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Yes. It should work technically.

3. ASFx thread starter macrumors regular

I just can't figure out if the ethernet port on the airport express is supposed to be exclusively used as a WAN port in case you need to plug a cable modem into it. If that was the case, im not sure plugging a hub into it would work. It's tough to find anyone that has this setup for some reason.

4. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Or right. Forgot about that one. My bad.

Maybe get another router without the stupid Apple restrictions which supports WDS, connect it wirelessly to the Time Capsule, and then connect your devices via it?

5. nutman macrumors regular

I think this is what you are asking. If you want to use the airport express as a wireless router, you need either an airport base station, in order to extend the wireless network, or else you will need an ethernet cable that runs from your internet source, the router, to the ethernet plug of the express. It does not matter if you have a switch before the express as the express will just create its own set of ip addresses with its own DHCP.

If you are asking if it can go wireless and send out internet from the ethernet port, I am pretty sure that it cannot do that.

6. ASFx thread starter macrumors regular

If i can't do this with an airport express, could i buy an airport extreme and hook my living room devices to that, then have the airport extreme connect to the internet through my time capsule?

7. brentsg macrumors 68030

It should be fine. I haven't used it with a hub or switch but I did use it on the far side of a wireless bridge to provide networking to single devices via ethernet.

8. bossxii macrumors 68000

Ok, having read thru your post a couple times, I hope I'm understanding what your trying to do and explain this correctly.

Room A is where your cable modem is connected to your Time Capsule via ethernet cable.

Room B has all your other devices and while some have wireless, you want to hardwire them thru ethernet cables yes?

If the above is true, then the Airport Express + switch will not work as the ethernet port on the Airport Express is for the incoming signal from a modem, or a pass thru cable from your TC. Either way it's meant as an INcoming not outgoing.

The Airport Extreme I'm not 100% sure if it can receive a signal to feed out it's ethernet ports without being hardwired itself to the modem. That I will have to research. It would seem to make sense they obviously take the wireless signal from a laptop but not sure if they can pass the actual feed, or modem's feed to the internet wirelessly. That would be a good question to have answered :)

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

This isn't true. I used my Airport Express to extend my network to my TiVo for well over a year.

I had my DSL running into my Airport Extreme. On the other side of my wireless network was my Express, with an ethernet cable running from the Express to my TiVo. It worked like a champ.

Think about it this way, the communication across the ethernet port on the Airport Express is bi-directional no matter where on the network your router is.