Can I create an "AirTunes" setup with an Ubuntu server and a MacBook with OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maclover001, Oct 15, 2008.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I have read that if you buy an AirPort Express, you can plug in a pair of speakers and create a wireless speaker environment.

Just curious if I could save the $99 and do it with the Ubuntu server. Can I plug in a pair of speakers into the server and have the MacBook's sounds play through them?

2. thomanjones macrumors regular

The APE has a 1/8" digital/analog audio jack that can be used to stream music from iTunes to either a stereo system or a set of powered speakers.

I do not believe that iTunes can stream to an Ubuntu server; but there are some reports of people streaming from Ubuntu to iTunes.

You can probably set up something through VLC, but it'll be more complicated than AirTunes.

Check out this link for a starting point:

http://douglasfshearer.com/blog/mac-to-linux-streaming-itunes-using-skype

My opinion: get a refurb APE or check ebay for a used one. It'll be 1000x easier.

3. maclover001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maclover001

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

there is a program called airfoil that you can use as a receiver , BUT, it's only windows and Mac friendly. And you actually have to use their program to send to the remote speaker clients. but you can send all system sounds, not just iTunes. although for video you have to use another of their programs, due to the buffering lag in the remotes.

The receiver program is called airfoil speakers. sender is just airfoil.

The reason you can't stream directly from iTunes, has to do with :apple:'s DRM on the stream, and no one's been able to crack it yet. At least that was the case the last time i used Google, while i was trying to do the same thing.

5. nitez macrumors newbie

Updates?

I have 1 windows (+ itunes) and 1 ubuntu desktop at home. The linux community hasn't yet produced anything close to what itunes can achieve. As I continue to use itunes but want to stream over the network, any chance someone managed to simulate airtunes on ubuntu? Also, as this is on rumors on Mac ... will apple ever plan to have itunes work under linux platforms?

6. vhartong macrumors newbie

And today? Still not possible??? I'm not sure wether it is possible on a mac at this moment?

Both would satisfy my needs.
    Does anyone know how to emulate airtunes on either a mac or a linux (ubuntu) server??

[To make myself crystal clear: I want to send music to another computer using iTunes, possibly without a difference in delay!]

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

Airfoil now has more client (receiver) apps, they have versions for windows, OS X, linux, and iOS. although i'm not sure about running on linux server, you may need the GUI to control it, but you would have to look into it.
    the transmitter app only runs on windows and OS X.

anything that goes through airtunes will have a delay, when playing in iTunes, they trick you, they delay the interface to match the speakers, if you don't believe me, try switching tracks, both played only out the computers speakers, and again out of remote speakers, local switches almost instantly, remote has a pause.
    This is due to the buffer that it builds to help avoid drop outs.

8. cytomatrix macrumors member

Even the official airport express? I thought it was a software issue.

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes. iTunes to express (or other airplay device)

it buffers, so it's got a couple seconds of padding in there to cover small network errors, otherwise your music would drop out on any little problem.