Can I delete apps I never use like sarfari and garage band?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amycishere, Jun 19, 2011.

1. amycishere macrumors 6502

Hello, I am a huge firefox fan. Never use safari. Have never once used Garage Band, even on my old macbook. Can I delete these programs without harming my computer like with App cleaner or is this not safe to do?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Garage band you can definitely delete without problems, safari I think you can but don't know for sure.

3. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Yeah you can uninstall all of iLife if you really want to. There may be instances where you need to use Safari, though and it's always a good idea just to have more than one browser since some webpages display better on one over the other. I wouldn't really bother uninstalling any of this though, it's not like they take up much space at all. Safari is what, 50mb?

4. Bear macrumors G3

Garage band is fine to delete and frees a noticeable chunk of disk if you find it all.

I'd recommend keeping Safari. It's not that much disk space. And I've found web sites that were broken in Firefox that worked fine in Safari. (On 10.6.7, it's about 55 megs.)

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

If you are going to delete garageband, make sure you get all the 'extras'. You can download a free trial of appzapper to help, or use hazel with the clean sweep option. The former is just about the easiest way to remove associated files in os x, imo.

6. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright thank you, I just put it in appcleaner and extra folders came up. Now, if I delete this will I never be able to get it back or do I just reinstall ilife 11?

7. sunnyj macrumors 6502

even though you dont use the apps why do you want to delete them?

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

It is on a disc that came with your computer. If you have the disks. Yes.

9. Smurfed macrumors regular

Because he doesn't use them.

10. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks everyone, deleted Garage Band. Just got the computer a few days ago so I still have the install CDs. Will be sure to keep them. Lost them for my 5 year old MB.