Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Hello fellow MacRumor members,
I have been in a very tricky position for the past 11 months... Let me explain, I have already asked for your advices on a previous thread—and I thank everyone one for helping me out: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1467428/

A lot has been going on since. I have had the computer repaired in October. The change the screens and ports, but guaranteed me that the "bend" was linked to my way of holding the device (antenna gate hint hint).

One month ago, the "repaired" rMBP once again fell short of my expectations. This time, the Airport was not responding and more dead pixels/ghosting/burns made their way to my MacBook's screen... Back to the Apple Store, this time in France!

The Genius, when witnessing and testing my computer, immediately believed me and ordered a free-of-charge COMPLETE repair of my computer (top case, bottom case, screen, AirPort, even fans and a fresh Mountain Lion restore).

After two weeks, TWO WEEKS without my computer and any sort of call, I decide to give the Apple Store a ring. And the result was...well... quite shocking. The technician assured me that the bend was MY responsability and that an impact had been detected. Problem is: there is no dent, no evidence for a shock, nothing AT ALL. I always take care of my beloved iDevices... Best part is, the technicians took the liberty of replacing the AirPort and the Bottom case without consulting me and want me to pay for it (more than 150 euro!!). Again, the Genius told me it would be free of charge, and they obviously didn't bother to call me to contradict that prediction.

I feel ripped off, I expected much more from a 2,000.00 dollar device and Apple's trust-worthy customer service. Has anyone been expecting the same issues as I have? Note that my rMBP was part of the first batch Apple sold...

Help please...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Where is the paperwork you signed before you left the store?
What does that say?

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Where is the paperwork you signed before you left the store?
What does that say?

They kept it, the Genius specifically noted on his iPad that the repair costs were covered by Apple

ps: I only have a paper to use when picking up the Macbook with the repair number and faulty parts written on it.

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's been a while since I had something repaired by Apple, but I was given something to sign that explained if the diagnostic resulted in them finding the issue was not covered, I was on the hook for the diagnostic fee at the least. You need to contact that genius or Apple customer relations. No reputable company should repair something and make you pay if you weren't told up front. Apple usually has a decent paper trail.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
It's been a while since I had something repaired by Apple, but I was given something to sign that explained if the diagnostic resulted in them finding the issue was not covered, I was on the hook for the diagnostic fee at the least. You need to contact that genius or Apple customer relations. No reputable company should repair something and make you pay if you weren't told up front. Apple usually has a decent paper trail.

I know, I always have had a great customer service when it comes to Apple. This is the first time I feel misunderstood, as if they didn't want me to be right, when all the evidence is pointing towards a faulty device...

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
They should have a copy of your signed authorization. I'd ask them to provide a copy. If they can't then they did an unauthorized repair and you should not be responsible for this.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
usually when any repair is to be carried out on a cost basis the duty of any service center is to inform the customer/client that this is the cost to fix this thing and get their approval, as per what you say they did not tell you that this part is not covered in warranty and will cost you.
When we i gave my laptop for services it had a dent i noticed after i got it home from the previous service the guys there just wrote on my work order usage marks,dents. Even if they state warranty or app on the sheet it doesnt mean that they would unless they find the liquid indicators showing liquid contact or some physical damage. In your case i would call up apple care and speak to them about your issue and see what they say.
For now just make sure if anyone else might of damaged it while using it (im not saying it would be so just possibilities)

For now just speak to apple care and do let us know what turns up.

All the best mate!

on the other side my macbook pro had its super drive faulty a few days before i could give it to my AASP while putting it back in my bag it kinda slipped from my hand when a friend played a prank and the slot of the superdrive got a bit bent. Managed to make the bend as good as new so they would not say anything.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Okay. I never came back to this thread and I deeply apologize for it.
First off, thank you guys for the help. This experience turned out incredibly bad.
I eventually went back to Paris fetch my computer. I had a meeting with the store manager to discuss the issue. My computer was completely fixed, and I thought they would just let me go with it. I was wrong. The manager asked me for 1200 euros to get it back, as she considered it was my responsibility. Of course, the computer being fixed, no evidence was left, aside from the Genius' diagnosis: he was apparently "missing" that day. How convenient. I spent 4 HOURS talking to this rather rude lady, who simply refused to help or understand me. 3 and a half hours in, she went downstairs for about 30 minutes and came back looking mad. She made me pay 45cents and told me the damages were my fault but that the Genius indeed assured me that the repair would come free of charge. I felt really bad for the guy as he was the one who really observed my computer and understood it was NOT my fault and that not a single dent was visible.

I went back a few weeks later to see if the guy hadn't gotten in trouble, but he still works there.

Anyways, worst experience ever. I simply couldn't believe it. My "New" Rmbp is doing great and I am finally enjoying every single minutes of it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.