can i do a full restore to a new 17 mbp from my old backup of my 15 mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 212rikanmofo, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Before I sold my unibody 15" mbp, i did a full time machine backup of my entire drive. I am going to be purchasing a new 17" mbp soon.

I was wondering if it will be okay for me to perform a full system restore from my backup onto my new 17" mbp? Or should I just take the time and do a fresh install of OS X and reinstall all my apps again?

I am afraid that since the backup is of the old 15" unibody, it might have all the old settings of the 15" such as model #, configuration settings, cpu speeds etc. Not sure if it would be optimal to use that backup on my new 17" mbp.

What do you guys suggest?

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

It is not unusual for Apple to customise the installation of OS X on new machines. Personally I would not do a full restore. But I would use the built in migration tool and target the backup volume you have created. :)

3. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I did a time machine restore and it seems to be a little slower than I remember it. Booting up and opening applications takes a little longer than I can recall.

From what I understand, the OS X disk (which you need to do the time machine restore) takes the fluffy stuff from your back up and installs it on a fresh installation of the operating system.

It should pick and choose the proper drivers and settings to install and lay the fluffy frosting over top.

4. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

so would it be better to perform a restore or use the migration assistant tool in my case?

5. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Migration..