Can I do an official AT&T Unlock and KEEP my contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acrafton, Jul 17, 2012.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

Here is the scenario - headed to China for a few weeks and have read all the horror stories about roaming. I have a legacy unlimited plan and my IPhone 4 is past the two years. I would like to unlock just for my trip to china but not lose my contract. . .any thoughts?

2. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I could be wrong, but I do not think AT&T will force you off their contract if you unlock a phone. If you are under contract, you must maintain service with them until contract is over, and all they care is that you pay your bill. Will they unlock your phone if you are under contract, that's another question.

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I think the stipulation for unlocking was that you fulfilled all the terms of the contract. If you have, and are now just month to month, as long as you've not been late with a payment and remain otherwise "in good standing" they will do it.

Technically, however, if you are on month-to-month with any carrier, you are by definition no longer under any contract. So grandfathering "old unlimited plans" is a gray area. They could just decide to drop your unlimited plan for any or no reason at all since you no longer are contracted with them to keep it either. Cuts both ways so.....tread carefully.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You unlock a locked device means goodbye contract. However, you are free to keep the service.

5. ahdickter macrumors 6502

To put it simply, yes you can unlock your iPhone, and when you come back you will still have service from AT&T

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This is what I think most people aren't taking into consideration, especially with VZW. They are eager to buy handsets outright to keep their unlimited plan. I wouldn't be shocked if Verizon drops that plan alltogether in the next year or so.