Can I do this with my iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZeroGauge, Oct 19, 2012.

1. ZeroGauge macrumors member

ZeroGauge

I received my iPhone 5 on release day. Upon receiving it I realized I made a mistake in getting a White iPhone again, since I had a White iPhone 4 and 4s previously. So I traded with my friend for his Black iPhone 5. With all of that being said, I was wondering should there be any software issues down the line would I still be able to get a replacement via 1 year manufacturer's warranty?

Thanks in advance- Please no smart a** comments!

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I wouldn't worry on software issues ; those would be same for white and black and fixed. Hardware issues could be differnet. You might should also change the receipts from the iPhone each other to be safe.

In all cases go and talk to a genious in case of trouble; they are normally helpful and if you have the proof of purchase and maybe Apple care I'm sure you will be served well.

3. ZeroGauge thread starter macrumors member

ZeroGauge

Thank you for your answer. So if I were to get a software issue they would most likely just give me a replacement without a receipt or anything? Thank you I will do that if something goes wrong with it. I was just wondering since my "local" store is about an hour and a half from me.

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You never need to show proof of purchase when you take your phone to the apple store. If its under warranty they can tell.

5. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

What kind of software issues you think about ? If you try to jailbreak and something goes wrong: it's out of any warranty. Other issues with firmware would be identical on all devices. Downloaded applications its not their job. IOS is quite robust: just let us know a bit of your concerns.

6. ZeroGauge thread starter macrumors member

ZeroGauge

Thank you!

7. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

This.

The only thing that would be a problem for you is if you wanted to return it to get your money back, and you only have until tomorrow to do so anyways.

8. ZeroGauge thread starter macrumors member

ZeroGauge

I was just wondering in general since I've been experiencing issues with my phone just restarting randomly, keyboard sometimes not registering keyboard hits, and at one time my keyboard had these lines going through it. As of right now I'm fine with the minor quirks (price of getting something as soon as it just comes out). I was just wondering if this continues down the line or if it gets worse what my options would be since I traded with my friend.

9. lguest macrumors newbie

10. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

you swapped device model's with him, which means you basically ****ed your warranty over a color swap, better hope he has applecare+ on it lol

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Incorrect.

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Whatever TC had on his iphone now belongs to his friends but he would need his friends proof of purchase and swapping numbers which I would imagine would piss the carrier off. Who knows if the carrier tied his IMEI to his white iphone 5 which would make him not eligible for a replacement.

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

His phone is covered under the warranty that it was purchased with for one year starting on the date of purchase. Apple knows the warranty term because they can tell when it was purchased. You never have to show a receipt when you bring a phone into Apple for warranty service.

14. troy14 macrumors 6502a

100% incorrect.

The warranty is tied to the device, regardless of the owner. Apple knows when the device was sold and the 1yr manufacturer warranty is started from that date.

Hell, the phone could be stolen, have them go into Apple with a manufacturer defect, and come out with a new one.

Apple does not care WHO the owner is, just how long it has been, and if it is a valid warranty claim.

15. ZeroGauge thread starter macrumors member

ZeroGauge

Thanks for all of the quick responses and helpful answers! I really appreciate it!