Can I download the 2.1 firmware update via a direct link?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shoelessone, Sep 19, 2008.

1. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Hi all, I'm in Cambodia and moving around a lot. Still, i'm a huge nerd and would like to download the update, but it's too large and the computers here are too slow to download it in "one go". I would like to use a download manager to download a bit at a time (we're talking 15 kilobytes a second here) as I move from computer to computer, town to town, etc. Then I'd like to be able to install the firmware via iTunes.

Anybody care to tell me if this is possible, and if so give me a direct link to the 2.1 firmware as well as basic instructions?

Thanks all!
    kev

2. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

I believe iTunes allows you to pause and resume downloads.

3. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replys, however my question still sort of remains - say I download this firmware version, is there a way to install it via iTunes?

For what it's worth, I'd like to keep this "legit" and I've already paid for version 2.0 - is this a "legit" download? I'm not sure how Apple accounts for who has/has not paid for the latest firmware.

Thanks!

4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

5. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again!

Again, follow up questions:

1) If/when I download this firmware file, how do I get iTunes to recognize/import/install it on my iPod Touch?

OK, that's actually only 1 question.

thanks again!

6. California King macrumors 65816

Just download it off iTunes. It has a resume feature built-in. But to answer your question, you shift+click on the restore button in iTunes. On macs, it's Option+click. Then you find the file and select it and iTunes will do the rest.

Also, you said 15 kilobytes, not kilobits? Holy crap that's slower than dial-up! Good luck with that. Sounds like it's going to take a couple of days!

7. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, finally, the answer I've been waiting for!

As far as you recomendation to download it with iTunes, things really aren't that simple over here. I don't have a computer, I'm using nternet cafes, and generally they shut them off when you are not on them, and they restart them once you leave which reimages them for the next user (i.e. everything goes back to what it was like before you were there). If that wasn't a big enough image, here in Cambodia the ISPs are limitting file downloads on port 80 (http, like from apple or via itunes) to 100 megabyte files, so it's literaelly impossible to download the firmware file directly either from iTunes or the link on the itunes.com/version page.

Instead, I just had to VNC into my computer back in the US and download the firmware, then split it up into 50 megabyte files using winrar, THEN upload the files to my own webspace, then redownload them here in Cambodia.

All in all a major pain in the ass, but at least I have a solution. I'm assuming/hoping that the link that was posted above was in fact that correct firmware (2.1 for the iPod Touch rev. 1) else wise I'll be wasiting my day :(

Thanks again for the help with the iTunes restore!

<3