Can I erase my iphone without deleting the music off of it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrmartin.mig, Oct 15, 2011.

1. jrmartin.mig macrumors newbie

Hey all, I got a 4s the other day and am in the process of getting rid of my 3gs. I want to offer the person who is going to buy it the chance to keep the music on it if they would like (there are about 4,000 songs on it). Is there anyway to erase the information on it without deleting the itunes? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

What a stupid offer. Not only illegal, but just stupid. You think you're going to charge more money because you've left songs on it?

Anyway, the answer is no.

3. jrmartin.mig thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really looking to charge anything more, I just thought it might be a nice thing to do for someone. Never thought about the legality behind it though. Thanks for the warm welcome.

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Plus as soon as they tried to make it "their" phone it would erase all the songs off it any way. Nice thought though.

5. jrmartin.mig thread starter macrumors newbie

They would just have to purchase a program like irip that would allow them to move the music from their phone into itunes to keep it from erasing it all.

6. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Why don't you just restore it, set it up as a new phone, and then sync ONLY the music. After it's been synced, choose "Reset All Settings" from the Settings app and then make sure you go into Settings > Store and sign your Apple ID out.