Can I exchange an iPhone I replaced? (Made huge mistake)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockyroad55, Sep 28, 2012.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I want a 32GB model after analyzing my possible future usage. However, my stupid self went to the Genius Bar today to warranty replace my iPhone for dust under the screen. After getting home, I realized that this might screw everything up when I could have just returned/exchanged it for a new one. But, what is done is done. Now, I am wondering if it is even possible to exchange it? I am definitely within the return period but this isn't the "original" phone.

2. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

When did you get the phone? I'm sure you can still return the product even though you exchanged it.

If you can return I'm sure you can exchange!

Just let them know, they shouldn't make a huge problem.

3. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

The new phone you got will still fall under the original phones return policy.

4. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I might be wrong, but it depends on what kind of phone you were given when they changed it for you, did you get a phone on the original/retail box? Or did you get a "white box" phone? As far as I know, only the retail box phone can be returned, but I might be wrong, best way to find out, go back to the store and see how it goes...

5. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

When you get a replacement device due to a defective one... The replacement takes over the exact policy of the old broken phone.

6. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Ahh cool, I thought it had something to do with the serial numbers not matching on the phone and box.

7. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

They do not care about the box. If you got a new phone because the one you bought was damaged... you can still return/ exchange the replacement as if it was the one you bought. In their system it will be the phone you bought.

8. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

When I had my first replacement, the genius made it clear that I would not be able to exchange for a different model/return the phone if I took the replacement.

9. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Ehh crap. Okay, assuming they take the return. Will they exchange it outright or do I have to return it, wait a few days for my upgrade eligibility to reset, and then come back to buy it at the subsidized price?

10. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I think you're free to buy it again right there (if they have stock). I could be wrong, but I think upgrade eligibility resets right there - if not, you can call AT&T right after the return. I think they'll be able to help you out.

11. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

If it was a warranty replacement, then NO it no longer can be returned. If it was actually a sales exchange, then yes you have 30 days.

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I have read this 3 times. I still dont know what it is you want to do.

13. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

Just to second this, I was told the exact same thing last week when I went to check into getting my phone replaced for a scuff. They gave me a choice of doing an exchange on my phone or getting a replacement, but made clear that if I got the replacement I would not be able to exchange it even though I still had 28 days of the 30 day exchange period remaining on the scuffed phone.

Mike

14. kellte2, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

kellte2 macrumors regular

Interesting. I was never told this when I had a phone replaced for a faulty power button. Kinda feel like I should have been told, but I know I won't be returning the phone anyways.

If my replacement phone comes with cosmetic damage and they won't let me exchange over that, I will definitely complain that I was never told that I'd lose my return rights by doing a "service phone" exchange. Seems like a bogus policy. The original purchase should control for 30 days regardless of whether you exchange the device.

EDIT:

Can someone point out this policy detailed in Apple's T&C for the sale? I don't think they can actually impose such a policy without some sort of waiver of your return rights.

I just read through the T&C for the "instant exchange policy" that is utilized when performing a replacement/non-retail exchange. There is no mention of this overriding the original return policy.

It appears as though this is yet another example of a "genius" being a genius. However, I'm still open to seeing some link from one of my fellow MR members.

15. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Apparently, you may be the only one.

16. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

No way would any company not allow a return if you got a replacement due to their phone being defective. This would become the biggest con ever on the consumer. AS STATED B4!! IF YOUR ORIGINAL PHONE IS STILL IN THE RETURN WINDOW THE REPLACEMENT IS ALSO!!

17. kellte2 macrumors regular

Yea, unless someone comes forward with some language citing an Apple policy for returns after an exchange, I'm calling BS on this from the Genius. No where is this policy stated on any documentation that you're given during the exchange process nor does it seem to be consistently stated to the customer.

18. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

I had this problem when I first bought my 4s. They wouldn't let me return the phone because the number on the phone didn't match the box. People that are saying its no problem better check there facts first !

19. kellte2, Sep 28, 2012

Right, but where is this policy stated by Apple? Did you raise a fuss when they said that? The stated policy is 30 days return for iPhones purchased from Apple. There is no caveat listed nor is it listed on any additional documentation that you sign or receive when completing an exchange.

The number on the phone matching the box is irrelevant to the actual return policy so unless someone can point to some language, I can't see Apple standing firm on this if it should arise and you push back.

ESPECIALLY given the fact that Genius employees are either not offering retail box exchanges or they are unable to do so due to lack of stock. It just doesn't add up.

20. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi

Take it to the store in Ardmore instead of center city, I went to 17 and walnut and while trying to replace my phone came across 4 flawed ones. They've been flagged for receiving a bad batch

21. as0016 macrumors regular

They actually do check to make sure it all matches. I returned my 5 tonight because the noise canceling and I did not mix, so I couldn't use the phone. They checked the serial number under the device settings on it to make sure it matched the serial on the box before they accepted the return. I was also told when I called applecare that if I tried another phone to see if that fixed the problem that I couldn't return for a refund.

22. kellte2, Sep 28, 2012

I believe that they check the serial numbers, but I just spoke with AppleCare today and nothing was mentioned about this type of policy. I'm certain that if you argued with them, they would accept the return. It simply is not stated anywhere on any T&C document on their website - including AppleCare.

The return policy is 30 days. There simply is no caveat for matching serial numbers due to exchanges done through Apple. If you argued with them, they would accept the return.

EDIT-
    Upon searching this message board, there are posts from the New iPad launch where users have exchanged iPads for light leaking, discolored screens, etc. and in these cases the Genius Bar employee has said that if they're unsatisfied with the exchange they could return the product for a refund. Seems like our Genius friends do say a lot of things.

23. as0016 macrumors regular

Yeah you probably could, but given that it was a feature of the phone, I doubted that a new "genius bar" replacement would behave any differently and it'd still likely cause discomfort when using it. I just decided to return the phone without seeing if a new one was any better. I wasn't so overwhelmed by the upgrade that going back to a 4s was disappointing enough to want to fight with them over the phone after getting a genius replacement that didn't behave any differently.

24. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

They can't lock you into buying a device just because they sold you a defective device and then gave you a replacement. It makes no sence to think that this would be policy with any company. If any store tries telling you this report them to Apple and the BBB. My guess would be this policy is to keep returns low so the manager dosent get bitched at.

This would be a lawsuit. A company sells defective items. Replaces them with even more defective items. And then denies a refund. BS. not in America.
    phone as I wanted a diffrent phone. They did not give a

25. kellte2 macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15907911&postcount=3594

Case in point. Exchanged phone (with sticker that said inspected by AppleCare, so i'm assuming it wasn't a retail exchange - from earlier post). Was told that he could return it for a refund.