Can I exchange Core i5 MBA for Core i7 at Apple store? [APPLE EXCHANGE POLICY]

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by J.C, Jul 30, 2011.

1. J.C macrumors 6502

I purchased an 11" Core i5 MacBook Air (4GB, 128 GB) last week at the Apple store. I've decided I'd prefer the Core i7 model.

I'm unclear about the exchange policy. Am I able to take it back and pay the extra for the high end model?

Can I be open that I've simply changed my mind and want another spec?

If so, do I box it up with all accessories and do a return with full refund, then purchase the new unit?

Thanks!

2. OSMac, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

Here in Canada you have 14 days for a full refund or exchange even if it's opened.
    At least that's the policy at the local Apple Store.

If you can you may want to try / buy the other 1st to be sure it's what you want,
    many feel it runs too warm and the fans come on more often.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Yes, if you're within the 14 day return policy, you can take it back and pay up for the other model.

4. reputationZed macrumors 65816

You have 14 days to return the MBA, accessories, box and all. If you want to buy a different MBA at that point the nice people in the Apple store will sell you one.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I have always found honesty serves me best. Nor have I had a desire to cheat anyone or any company. The point being, I believe Apples prices are slightly higher because so many users abuse their liberal return system.

I would carefully repack it just like it was when you opened it. Hopefully you've saved all that came with it.

Go back to the store and be completely honest and open. I would expect you'll find them as helpful as I have. They are so used to nasty customers like any other retail operation that deals with the public, that when you are respectful, pleasant and honest, they'll be more than happy to take care of you.

As far as the exact specifics of the return policy, I cannot answer that, but it doesn't matter much with Apple. I've done what you are about to do, and each time Apples acted professionally and taken care of me. I have never enjoyed a better experience than what Apple provides.

I sincerely believe approach is everything. Only once did I encounter an employee who wasn't interested in helping me. The solution was simple, I thanked him for his time, walked back to the back of the store with a smile and asked for the manager. When that person approached, I smiled, said I wanted to return my MBP for the top model and was met with courtesy and a swift, smooth transaction.

Apple gets very high marks in my book.

6. PaulWog Suspended

You're in the clear to make the return.

However honestly I don't know why you would be dissatisfied with the i5.

I am guessing you rushed off to the Applestore to pick up an Air on one of the first days impatiently. They didn't have the i7 model so you picked up the i5 model and went "oh well it's probably good enough"; and it was good enough for you. But you kept on thinking "oh I don't have the best", so you finally posted this thread and planned out the return so you could get the i7. So no offence but it seems like you should hold off on impulse-buying and simply get what you want right off the bat, rather than getting something on day1 and returning it in order to pick up the better model when it arrives on day 10 or whatever it might be.

The i7 is not necessary. The i5 can get the same stuff done. The only difference that is noticeable is when you're timing encoding or something of the like.

I simply hope you don't get the i7, feel great with it, and before 14 days realize that it doesn't feel any different... and so you return it for an i5 again. :-O

7. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Did you get the i5 1.7? If so you won't see a huge difference in speed. It's nice to have the bragging rights, but you will also get warmer temps and the fan will probably come on more often than the i5. I went from i7 to i5 and don't regret it. Plus the deal of 1525 out the door for the one I got was a deal!

8. marrzie macrumors regular

You seem to be very smart. Can you tell me what I am thinkiing as well? I want the i7 but considering the i5 as well.

9. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to everyone for the policy, technical, and moral advice.

10. reputationZed macrumors 65816

wouldn't be a proper forum without an overabundance of moral advice.

I've got the i7 but from what I've read, the move from the i5 1.7 to the i7 1.8 is probably not worth the trouble.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

So are you getting the i7? I purchased it 9 days ago (11" 256GB) and it's a keeper for me.

12. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the 11" 1.6GHz Core i5, 4GB Memory, 128GB SSD. Will be exchanging for the 11" 1.8GHz Core i7, 4GB 256GB SSD.

A lot of the video encoding I've previously done on a Mac Pro will now be done in the Air, so the faster processor and extra storage will come in handy. Originally I didn't think I'd use the Air for that type of work.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

According to AnandTech, the 1.8GHz i7 is 20+% faster than the 11"'s 1.6GHz i5 but only ~8% faster than the 13"'s 1.7GHz i5. Differences are mainly due faster turbo modes in the 1.7 i5 and 1.8 i7 compared to the 1.6 i5.

14. PaulWog Suspended

Took it like a champ :p

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If your encoding a turbo .264 HD dongle would prob give you a better boost in encoding performance than the i5 to i7. However the dongle & the i7 will be sweeter ;) lol.

16. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Whoah dude, great post. I think I need to take this post as a champ too. You literally sucked the thoughts right out of my head. lol.