Can I exchange my iPhone?

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Hi,

I preordered the black 32gb iPhone 5. I got it on September 21, and then got AppleCare + at an Apple Store. I then put an amazon case on it, and heard a "creeeeeeech!". I checked, and there were a few scratches on the side of my phone. I just realized that this will really kill my resale value.

Is there any way to exchange my phone at the apple store?

Ifi exchange it, what happens to my AppleCare +? Will I lose it, or will it be transferred over?

What happens to my contract with AT&T? Will the end date be reset? Will I have to pay an early termination fee?

Thanks!

Last edited:

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Could somebody please help me with this? I'd like to exchange it, if possible, before my 30 days are up.

Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
since you damaged it, then you wont be able to exchange the device; However, you do have applecare+ so you can pay the $50 deductible and get a new phone. That will leave you with one replacement left, and the applecare+ will transfer to the new phone.

Comment

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
It all honestly depends on your moral values. You know you did it so exchanging it should be out of the question. Seeing as you got it on release date they won't buy it that it was like that out of the box so you are pretty screwed come to think of it. You can use your applecare+ and get a new one. That would leave you with one more replacement.

Comment

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
A $50 scratch that's hidden by a case. What about the next scratch? and so forth. :confused:

Comment

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
A $50 scratch that's hidden by a case. What about the next scratch? and so forth. :confused:
Well realistically speaking anyone else would just cover it up with a case and then when resale time comes around you can get it replaced for the $50. However, this guy sounds like he will die if doesn't get it replaced so just giving him answers.

Comment

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Thanks to all of you. I guess I'll just keep the phone. :)

And to those of you who said that it was completely my fault, the phone was scratched while putting a faulty case on it to prevent this.

Comment

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Thanks to all of you. I guess I'll just keep the phone. :)

And to those of you who said that it was completely my fault, the phone was scratched while putting a faulty case on it to prevent this.
Contact the Amazon vendor. I've had good look when reporting an issue like that. If that doesn't work then contact Amazon.

Comment

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
It may have been scratched by the case but that isn't Apple's fault, that is the case vendors fault. And really, you are going to get scratches. If I was only worried about my iphone's resale value I would never get to actually enjoy my phone. Enjoy it, keep a case on it and save your Applecare+ for when you actually need it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.