Can I get a 100% definite that the Apple Store replaces iPhone 3G, not repair/sendout

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by louis0nfire, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

2. em5photog macrumors regular

em5photog

I have had 3 iphones swapped out at the applestore 2 have been 3g for signal and battery and they swapped those out for brand new ones . I also had to replace my my 2g iphone and they swapped it on the spot for a refurbed one rightthen and there . They do not fix yours if you go to the store they swap it out. if you mail it in i am not sure .

3. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Replacement should be on the spot at the Apple Stores. Some have had their 3G's shipped out - returned b/c they bought their iPhone at AT&T. Apple is adamant about their 3G replacements going to their customers that purchased iPhones at their stores FIRST. "Oh, don't make me play the race card!" :D

5. haddman macrumors regular

A friend of my had problems with his screen constantly freezeing, after a couple of trips to the the genius bar the swapped the phone for him. I would not recommend damaging your phone in the microwave or anything else as that would be considered user neglect not a software/hardware problem.

6. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

if it has been less than 30 days, you can return your phone without any fees or restocking fees. becuase you have 30 days to decide on the service, they cannot charge you the restocking fee. so just return the phone, and get a new one. that way, it does not count against your warrenty

7. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Just say its a random problem and you can't just take the phone to the store when it does it, they will class it under as a intermittent problem, and if thats not enough because you get a awkward person then turn auto brightness off and lower the brightness to the lowest and you put the back of the phone to your ear you can hear a faint squeaking sound.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I can 2nd that motion. Though I've not tried it, there were some returns with that concern in particular. :eek:

9. FJR macrumors regular

Trying to damage it on purpose is a good way to have ot pay full price for a new one.

They generally believe you when you say something is wrong with it, especially if its brand new looking and you would have no other eason to trade it in.

10. pcmike macrumors 6502

pcmike

I don't believe this to be true at all. They'll more than likely still charge you a restocking fee on the phone at either Apple or AT&T.

11. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

12. haddman macrumors regular

A friend of my had problems with his screen constantly freezeing, after a couple of trips to the the genius bar the swapped the phone for him. I would not recommend damaging your phone in the microwave or anything else as that would be considered user neglect not a software/hardware problem.

13. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

i would avoid microwaving iPhone. It says not to microwave iPhone in the user guide. you might blow yourself up, and to add to that, location services will tell steve jobs that you microwaved it! (this post is a joke).

Seriously, i have never had my iPhone replaced, so I could not comment here except for my lame joke.

14. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I was there on friday,returning my phone, and told this specifically by the apple employee at the front desk. Apple Grove, fyi

15. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

16. Inukami macrumors 6502

Probably, just go to the store and tell them whats going on. It's really not a big deal, they have lots of phones and they will just swap it with another in the store.

17. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

I'm on my 3rd 3G phone... they go get a brand new box, open right in front of you and give you the new phone. All you get is the phone though, no accessories.

18. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Therse is no restocking fee on iPhone 3G.

19. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Not a smart idea at all... I went in yesterday asking if the phone should switch from 3G to Edge in call. He said no. I told him that when my 3G signal is no bars, the phone either wont switch or takes a LONG time. Point is, they run diagnostics on the phone, if there is a HINT of an issue they replace it. Just go in to the store and tell the truth, as they say honesty is the best policy.

20. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

21. cookiemoose macrumors member

Which case did this?

I admire your honesty but eventually the chrome will get scratched a bit, is it really worth all this effort?

And there is the small problem of defrauding Apple for a new phone.

22. xolan99 macrumors regular

You can't be serious...

You do realize your phone is going to get scratches from normal daily use eventually no matter what you do.

They phone they give you may be a replacement or a new one but unless you have a real issue they're not going to replace it. I had cracks in my casing and they gave me a replacement that was all scratched up and they told me they don't do cosmetic exchanges. I had to argue the fact that I did not cause the scratches and so the guy reluctantly gave me another replacement but one that was in better condition.

Take it from a guy who used a million cases for his original iPhone...it will get scratched at some point so you might as well live with it now.

23. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502