Can I get a replacement iPhone 4 for less than $600?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairben, Jan 27, 2012.

1. blairben macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 doesn't work. I can sync it, but the screen won't turn on. I took it in to a 3rd party repair shop and they said it is dead and needs to be replaced. But since it doesn't have all original parts (see below), I can't get replacement pricing, so the cost will be around $700. Any guidance?

Here's the History: Earlier, I had cracked the screen, and I got it replaced at a 3rd party place and chose a red casing to differentiate from my wife's. It worked great, but about a month later it stopped working (screen wouldn't turn on).

I took it to the phone store where I bought it, and it was still under warranty, but since it didn't have original parts (the screen had been replaced by the red one) the warranty was voided.

I thought I understood that a replacement would be what I paid for originally, but the store said that I couldn't buy a replacement, because apple wouldn't replace a phone with non-original parts. So my option was to pay around $600 if I wanted a functioning iPhone. I'm fine to sign a new contract if I can get out of my current one. I just want a working iPhone for less than $600. I've had the phone for about 11 months. What are my options?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

An out of warranty replacement iPhone 4 is $149 at an Apple Retail Location. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, if you try and go to an Apple Store, they should replace it for you no problem.

For $700 I'd just get a brand new Unlocked 4S instead.

3. jeans94621 macrumors regular

jeans94621

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Try eBay. I brought a brand new 32gb iPhone 4 for five hundred I know that was a lot but it was a Verizon iPhone. They seem higher than AT&T phones. But I do know it is a brand new phone because the Apple warranty is until April 2013 you of course can get the phone cheaper on eBay. I just choose to buy it from someone who was charging a little more and had good feedback. And had sold lots of items.

4. iFiend macrumors 65816

He can't take it to Apple, because he did an aftermarket mod (red casing)

5. blairben thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I hope that works. I'm skeptical because I gave it to the 3rd party store, with $200, and they apparently communicated with Apple, but said they couldn't replace it (because it didn't have original parts). They told me I could come get it and get my money back. Though really, I just want a working phone.

----------

Thank you. I'll check ebay. Though I was hoping for much closer to $200...

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I've seen used ones go for $350 on Cragislist.

7. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Yup. Apple store is out of the question since the phone now has aftermarket physical parts on it. The phone must be stock to qualify for the reduced price service replacement price of$149.00 plus tax.

8. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

If he didn't have the red casing, would Apple be able to spot 3rd party parts?

9. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

Have you looked into the cost of getting a second line on your account?

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Most likely not. Not on first glance at least. If a knowledgeable Genius went into the back and thoroughly inspected it though, that might be a whole different story.

11. jarron macrumors newbie

cowboom.com is a best buy liqudation site. iPhone 4 devices are going for $269, $279 on Verizon and AT&T, respectivily.

12. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Might be cheaper to put an OEM case back, and then take it back to apple. You might end up paying aroud 300 this way.

13. blairben thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea. Thank you!

14. Lugnutz macrumors member

I won my iPhone 4 on auction on eBay for $281. It was listed as used but looks brand new and it even came with an Otterbox. I've seen some buy it now deals for around $300.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Used iPhone 4 sells on eBay/CL for $275-$350 depending on the condition, storage capacity, etc. They are asking far too much at $700. That's over retail price for a brand new, unopened 4 at the Apple store.

16. antman2295 macrumors 6502

^ This, iPhone 4's are going for about $275-$300 where I live.