Can I get an iPhone 4 w/ no data plan on ATT? ...

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
I've got a 4S with data on AT&T. The rest of the family is on a family plan with Sprint, all feature phones with no data.

I'm considering switching my daughter to AT&T with me on a family plan there. I see Best Buy is offering the iPhone 4 for free w/ a 2 year activation. I really don't want to spend the money on a data plan for her now.

Is it possible to get her the iPhone 4 on AT&T, via Best Buy, and not get a data plan? Then I could just turn off cell data from within the phone, and it would still work for data within a WiFi area? And of course work as a phone on the AT&T network?

Thanks VERY much in advance,
Chris

iTunes-Luv

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
USA
Just buy her an old two years old 3GS. Many people including me now has a 3GS and a iPhone 4S. I planned to use the 3GS as an iPod Touch but some may sell it

Comment

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
yes, on at&t prepaid.:)
+1

To Clarify: If you get the subsidized 2-year price, you'll have to sign up for a regular post-paid plan where you'd need a minimum of $15 for your data plan.

You can purchase an UNLOCKED (or maybe a regular AT&T one out of contract works, but I'm not sure) iPhone - either a 3GS, or a 4, or a 4S depending on your budget, and put a MicroSIM into it for the AT&T Go Phone pre-paid plan.

With the prepaid plan you wouldn't have any data unless you chose to allocate your balance on the account towards the purchase of a data pack.

Here's the link for what Applejuiced was talking about:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/08/10/dear-aunt-tuaw-what-is-this-cheap-iphone-data-plan-you-speak-of/

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.