Can I get iPhone 4 replaced out-of-warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jap1198, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jap1198 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.685; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

The home botton on my phone isn't working properly anymore. Sometimes I have to click 2-3 times just so I can exit an app. Also, the 1 year warranty on my iPhone is up. Does Apple replace out-of-warranty phones or at least repair them at a cost? I know every Genuis Bar is different, but I wanted to see if anyone else has gone throught this same problem. Thanks!

2. srxtr macrumors 6502a

I think you have to pay.

My 1 year warranty is actually up in 5 days, and I was having the same problem as you: my home button would sometimes not respond.

I was preparing yesterday to go to the Apple store to have it checked, but just to make sure that my problem occurred consistently (I didn't want to look like an idiot if the problem didn't happen in front of the Apple guy) I repeated tapped the home button lightly to make sure it wasn't very responsive.

At first, it wasn't very responsive, but after about a minute or so, I noticed the home button was working well again. Whatever I did fixed the problem, and I can no longer reproduce it any more. I think the key here is to lightly tap your home button, as some people tend to use too much strength.

Knowing my luck, my home button will stop working after my warranty expires.

3. jap1198, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011

jap1198 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

I must be unlucky then because I swear this problem appeared right after my warranty expired.

*Hopefully* the guy I see is nice enough to maybe let the fact that my phone is a few weeks expired slide, because I really can't deal with this home button anymore.

*PS: I am currently tapping the home button to make sure it really is a problem, I also don't feel like being embarrassed by the Genuis haha.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

The same thing happened to me (even starting right as the warranty expired). I have just learned to press harder. If it really starts to bother me I will probably get a battery replacement since it is cheaper than the out of warranty replacement, and they still replace the phone.