Can I get some feedback on my résumé?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by asp821, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asp821 macrumors newbie

So I've been out of school for over a year now and the only thing I've been able to get is an internship with my local YMCA working on their Dream House. So I spent the last day or so redoing my résumé and I was wondering if people could give me some feedback on it before I start sending it out?

I have two versions of it. One is the original and another I've adjusted the contrast to make it a little bit easier to read. I'm not sure if it'll help, but I've tried nonetheless. I personally prefer the brighter one.

Let me know if you see any errors or spelling mistakes or if it's too difficult to read, etc. And don't be afraid to say it flat out sucks either!

Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Since I can't read the resume, I'm not quite sure what types of jobs you're applying for. However, if they are not in the graphic design field, I would put that one in the trash, then empty it.

If you are a graphic designer, I would say this is a decent start. It's very difficult to follow (remember, I can't actually read it because the resolution is too low and the text color does not go with the background well) and there is a lot of stuff going on.

4. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Very difficult to read.

I don't think anyone reads a whole CV, they just skim-read and quickly pick out the important bits (or at least, I always have when hiring). There's no bullet-points or quick-to-view main bits. It's just massive blocks of text.

5. griz macrumors 6502a

Do away with the ALL CAPS. Very hard to read.
    Plus, All Caps, San Serif is used in legal lines for a reason. They don't want anyone reading it.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'd go with a plain white document with black text. Lose all the other stuff.

Unless, as already stated, you're looking for graphic design work. Then add some contrast with the background and text.

7. BruiserB macrumors 65816

A bit too heavy on all of the social media contact info. I'd wonder if you'd be spending all of your time on the job updating your multiple profiles. Maybe one social site if it contains highlights of your work.

8. D.T., Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

For the main content, you should lose the I, I, I and For My, For My, For My. Make those blocks a more direct narrative (we know it’s about you), with possibly bullet points of accomplishments. Convert the businesses from an icon to a simple section header.

For example:

Lake County YMCA
    Marketing intern for the 2014 Dream House project, involved in team collaboration to develop social media strategies and promote the YMCA.

- Created print and digital marketing materials
    - Facilitated sponsorships with local business such as Chik-Fil-A

[repeat as needed]

As far as layout/formatting, it’s honestly a bit of a mess. I don’t mind that you tried to do something a little different, especially with your graphic design background, but the typography, color choices, alignment, just do not work together (I’ve worked in/around the design industry).

[edit]

Wanted to add:

*If* you want to do something with a little graphic flair, maybe block your skills into various categories with a complimenting icon. So like an icon for Graphic Design, an icon for Social Strategies, etc., then put those across the bottom of a block of work experience to denote the skills used, so in the above example:

Lake County YMCA
    Marketing intern for the 2014 Dream House project, involved in team collaboration to develop social media strategies and promote the YMCA.

- Created print and digital marketing materials
    - Facilitated sponsorships with local business such as Chik-Fil-A

(GD) (SS)

Where (GD) = Graphic Design Icon

...and _maybe_ keep the icons next to your social addresses, just smaller, maybe grayscale. Like I said, I don’t think the general concept of adding a little graphic flourish to a resume is bad for a designer, but it needs to be less prominent/intrusive to the text content :)

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

What the others said: is this a resume, or a biography? Also, try, white text on white background. It'll be even harder to read.

Start over ;)

10. asp821 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright. Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I'll just throw this **** in the trash and start over.

11. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Also lots of companies just scan resumes with bots to look for key words so the more graphics and lower contrast, the less likely you'll even get noticed.

Maybe a traditional black and white one for first contact and then the pretty one if you can hand it to someone in person at an interview.

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Consider your readers:
    • They have a stack of resumes to read today.
    • More arriving tomorrow.
    • They're understaffed and overworked.
    • They don't want to be wading through resumes.
    • They already have a full workload.

So they'll scan your resume fast. If your skills and accomplishments don't jump out in 10 seconds, you'll go in the reject pile.

Make it easy for them:
    • Black on white (Perhaps one spot of color.),
    • Sentence case,
    • Get rid of the icons (maybe one crisp graphic element if appropriate),
    • Use section headings (Look up "Information Mapping" or watch the dull but relevant video below),
    • Make sure the page can be photocopied without losing information. Test it.

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

some very good advice in the various posts above.

i can concur with most, especially the fact that it is basically illegible (do not forget that low contrast is the hardest obstacle in reading for people over 40, which probably include the vast majority of those who would be reading your resume)
    some of the other criticism are appropriate in general but also it depends on who are you sending your resume to, and for what kind of job

if it is a very broad approach, with all kind of jobs and large companies, then it really is all wrong.
    if you are targeting smaller and more alternative or creative places, than something along the line of what you are doing could work better.

remember you do want to get noticed, but not as the first one to go into the trash pile.

14. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Be careful about trumpeting your self-taught skills. Get honest opinions about your work samples to avoid possible embarrassment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.