Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
Hi there!

I've just recently updated my website (big time) with a friend...

We didn't use any templates or anything at all, EVERYTHING was designed from scratch! :)

But there is one problem. The site runs beautifully smoothly on my dad's Dell laptop, but on my (ten times the spec) MacBook Pro, it runs very jerkily...

The address is http://www.s-f-a.co.nr so you can have a look. Can you tell me if it runs fast or slowly for you? It's when you click NEXT on the news section, and it seems to be something to do with the amount of text on the page. The less there is, the faster it runs...

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
Cool. Also, there is a Feature Index. Use the Dock style toolbar at the top to select it. It works in the same way as the News reader, but has flashes instead of News. Could some people have a flick through that too and see if that runs well or not?

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Just tried to load it and ----- everything has just hung around your site. Maybe a problem with your server/hoster? I'll try again later and see what's what. :confused:

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
Like overlapping layers etc...

Yeh we know! :p We don't care! It's worked on every browser we've tried, although people with older versions of flash have problems with the Dock style bar being really jumpy, and the text appearing bloated.

Any idea why it might run slowly on my MBP then? It seems to be the less text there is on the news reader, the faster it runs when you click View Old News Items>...

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Killyp said:
Like overlapping layers etc...

Yeh we know! :p We don't care! It's worked on every browser we've tried, although people with older versions of flash have problems with the Dock style bar being really jumpy, and the text appearing bloated.
[/COLOR]...

You don't care? then why did you come into this forum asking for help? Or were you just fishing for compliments on your site using "help me" as a trap to get people to visit? :rolleyes:

kaboutertje

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2006
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I agree with Lexus, my eyes are bleeding atm..

But the site loads a bit weird too, though I guess that's just how you programmed it. I would like everything to appear instantly (or close to that), but instead it has to load that dock template thingy first :). Once it is loaded it is running ok though (as in not choppy or anything).

Don't think I'm bashing your site now though, just try to make some changes (starting with the color scheme).

Did you make the animations on your site btw? Cause they are actually quite nice.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Speed-wise the header takes a long time to load and moving between news pages is fairly slower than I'd expect, but I chalk that up to the slide animation. The feature index is very slow and takes a long time to load the thumbnails.

I've encountered a few bugs and pet peeves, but I will refrain from mentioning them as you explicitly asked for a "quick test on speed performance." :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
kaboutertje said:
I agree with Lexus, my eyes are bleeding atm..

Sorry...I have to agree. The blue/green color scheme is painful. The dock icons look funny when they're not magnified (they need to be anti-aliased). And no one really says "funky" and means a good thing. :eek: ;) :D

The flash animations *are* very cute though. Very nicely done. So I like the content a lot.

As far as loading goes... it actually runs reasonably on my iBook G4. :eek: When it does hang, it seems to be a loading issue more than the ability of my computer to run your site....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.