Can I get the HE discount on 2 laptops

sanzu3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
OKay, so i order a MBP a few days ago and got the higher education discount (14%). Now I was just talking to a friend who wants to order a macbook but doesn't qualify for the discount - will Apple let me order a second MBP so quickly ?????

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
OKay, so i order a MBP a few days ago and got the higher education discount (14%). Now I was just talking to a friend who wants to order a macbook but doesn't qualify for the discount - will Apple let me order a second MBP so quickly ?????
I believe its once per academic year, so it depends on when they reset the clock.

sanzu3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
I believe its once per academic year, so it depends on when they reset the clock.
yeah that makes sense.... what a bore ...mind you, maybe I can pretend to be him an blag it

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
yeah that makes sense.... what a bore ...mind you, maybe I can pretend to be him an blag it
If he doesn't qualify then you aren't entitled to this discount so its dishonest. You are welcome to see if you qualify for another machine, though I really wouldn't try and pretend to be him as if it fails Apple will be very annoyed and it may affect future purchases ;).

sanzu3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
If he doesn't qualify then you aren't entitled to this discount so its dishonest. You are welcome to see if you qualify for another machine, though I really wouldn't try and pretend to be him as if it fails Apple will be very annoyed and it may affect future purchases ;).
I consider him to be a student of life and thus should be entitled to a discount like anyone how actually goes to college;)

psingh01

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
I never heard of any limit when it came to education discounts. I know the student developer discount is a one time thing, but those are much higher than a regular student discount. If I were you I would just walk into an Apple store if you have one near you and try to buy one with student ID. I don't think they will say anything. Worst they can do is say no :)

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple imposed a purchasing limit under the student discount for the very reason we are seeing here.

sanzu3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
I never heard of any limit when it came to education discounts. I know the student developer discount is a one time thing, but those are much higher than a regular student discount. If I were you I would just walk into an Apple store if you have one near you and try to buy one with student ID. I don't think they will say anything. Worst they can do is say no :)

exactly - nothing to lose is there !

sanzu3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple imposed a purchasing limit under the student discount for the very reason we are seeing here.

Thats seems highly unlikely to me. Using there current strategy (which may occasionally be abused I admit) they are seeing ever increasing levels of profitability and increasing market share.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Call them, but I am sure that the policy is 1 laptop and 1 desktop per year. That said, they will sell you a Mac at Regent Street with ID for the HE price, so I guess you could get one if you want to take that on. When you register it, however, they might catch it. I wouldn't do it just because I appreciate the discount and want to play fair. Anyway, call them to be sure that I am right about the limit, but that's what they told me some months ago.

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Thats seems highly unlikely to me. Using there current strategy (which may occasionally be abused I admit) they are seeing ever increasing levels of profitability and increasing market share.
It is fact (and if you actually read your agreement when you purchased your other notebook, you would have known this).

"Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year"

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html

Even if you were going to buy a desktop instead of a laptop, you are not abiding by the agreement if you bought a computer for someone that is not eligible for the same pricing.

If Apple really wanted marketshare regardless of the profit, they would be selling the machines all at this discount. Clearly, that is not part of the business plan. The education discounts are a targeted to specific markets because that is where they think they can make the biggest impact (i.e. they get people to buy into the Mac while they're in school and hope to keep them after they leave.

cheers.