Can I gift an iTunes song to a person who owns a Samsung Android?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by dimi94941, Jan 23, 2014.

1. dimi94941 macrumors regular

Google Play doesn't offer gifting songs, so I was wondering if I gift this person an iTunes song, will they be able to actually listen to it?

2. Zyiros macrumors member

Zyiros

3. dimi94941 thread starter macrumors regular

Goddamn it. These restrictions only hurt the customer.

Thanks for your answer.

4. Zyiros macrumors member

Zyiros

Its really too bad. If only there was a universal music/app store!

5. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Since the songs bought on iTunes doesn't have DRM, you can gift it and your friend can download with its iTunes.

Then he can use Google Play Music to put them into their online library

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

This.

I do all my purchases via iTunes. Keep iTunes as my centralized music library on my home Macs, my Macbooks, my Apple TV, etc. Just run the Google Play media manager plugin and it updates it out on Google Play Music as well.

Great solution.

7. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I started buying my songs via the HMV app/web site. Once I buy the songs, I download them and put them on any devices I choose.

8. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Why unfortunately? :cool:
    Samsung users don't deserve such a gift.

9. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Doh! :p

Nothing wrong with giving Samsung users some assistance. They are using Touchwiz, so they need all the help they can get. ;)

10. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Then he would have download iTunes just for one song. Seems like an odd workaround but its plausible.

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

You're right, they deserve better.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

You can, but they would have to download iTunes to get the song. Once they downloaded it, they can do whatever they want with it, including listing to it on their android phone.

13. Zyiros macrumors member

Zyiros

Yeah, I mean you can export iTunes songs to your desktop and then move them to any device, but ah well. There are apps in Google Play for Android devices that allow Android to sync with iTunes though. I think one is called iSyncer.

14. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

You could download it on your own iTunes and email it to him? On his phone he could move it from his download folder to his music folder via a file browser app. He doesn't need to move it though, Google music picks up music from everywhere on his phone except system folders. I'd just move it because my OCD would tingle having my music scattered.

15. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I don't have an iTunes account. I'm already using Windows Media Player to manager all of the music I have. A few years ago, I converted all of my LP's, tapes and CD's to MP3 format and it's all in WMP. I was buying some music on the Bell Music Store until they shut it down. When I found out about the HMV app, I switched to that.

Google Music just doesn't allow me to buy music here in Canada. I've been waiting for a long time and still nothing. I don't need Google Music anymore.

16. Farplaner macrumors 6502

Can't you convert the AAC file into an MP3, and then send it to him that way?

A little more work on your part doing the conversion, but once the MP3 is gifted to him he can play it however he wants :)

17. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

The far easier option is to purchase the mp3 from Amazon, which is very much a 3rd party music store.

18. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

Farplaner

Converting an mp3 file is only one click away. ....I wouldn't call that "a little more work"

19. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Why is converting even necessary? Nearly my entire library is AAC and all played just fine from local storage on every Android device I've owned over the past 2 years, including anything I've purchased from iTunes.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would also suggest this, especially if the person doesn't have iTunes installed.

21. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Do you sync your itunes on a Mac? Go your itunes music folder. Find the song you want. Copy it to your desktop and zip it. Email it to your friend so they can get it on their Samsung phone. Now they can download the attachment and add it to their music library.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As Jamezr says. Or alternatively Dropbox or google drive it to them :)

23. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

yes but remember your personal info is embedded in the file. :rolleyes:

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Only on the AAC version. Simply right click on it and choose make MP3 version. Save that to Dropbox.

25. smorrissey macrumors 6502a

Yes but then it is not an iTunes file anymore...