Can I Go Caseless With My iPhone 3GS and Still Retain Its "Like New" Condition?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jun 16, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

After using some sort of removable-for-use case (a leather flip case and a sleeve) for the first two iPhones, I went with a plastic hard case, the Seidio Inncase II, for my iPhone 3GS. I took that case off tonight for the first time in my iPhone 3GS's lifetime and was reminded why I never liked hard cases. The iPhone 3GS looks much nicer without a plastic case, though I liked the peace of mind that a plastic case offers.

Since my iPhone 3GS will be going up on eBay and likely kept with myself until mid-July when I buy my iPhone 4 (I was going to preorder it this week...), I'd like to retain the way my iPhone 3GS looks like new, aside from a hairline scratch or two. I'm OCD with my devices (only setting it down on a soft surface, etc) but I'd like to be "normal" with it for my last few weeks of usage, so not have much regard for where I set my iPhone as long as it won't fall, keep it (alone) in my pocket without any type of sleeve, etc.

Is the iPhone 3GS really durable enough to be in a fantastic condition when an eBay buyer receives it? I've noticed through comparing my sales of the last two iPhone generations with others' sales, an iPhone that still looks new can receive prices of upwards of $100 over other used iPhones.

2. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

no
    the plastic WILL scratch no matter what, even with a case in some instances

3. Man on the moon macrumors regular

Yes and No. Try to not by mistake put the iphone with car keys,coin(s).
    Cases personally I believe scratch the phone but you can always get this clear protective film and place it on phone, co-worker did this on day one last year and removed it like 2 days ago and it's pretty impressive how it looks.

4. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

the back will get scratched up and that metal rim around it will get scratched up.

the screen just needs a film and it'll be good.

5. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I guess the iPhone 3GS's durability isn't up to where it should be. Why design such a good-looking phone when it's so easy to ruin? I'm happy that the new iPhone is mostly glass, the glass has been very difficult to scratch on the iPhone's screen. Whenever I stand up with my iPhone now, I picture those shattered screens and me losing my opportunity to make a few hundred reselling it. I haven't felt this way with my previous iPhones out of their cases. I guess I'm not used to using my iPhone naked anymore.

6. irish1313 macrumors member

You know, for the last 2 phones, I kicked myself for babying my phone with cases and screen protectors, only to sell it to someone in pristine condition. I then mistakenly thought when I bought the iPhone 3gs that I would go "naked". The devil on my shoulder kept whispering - " good for you, you kept the phone pristine for the new owner"...Long story short- 3gs became trashed on the backside from putting it on a table, in my pocket, and the occasional drop ( short distance ). The good thing is that the screen is in pretty good shape still, by the back is whack.

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's kind of sad how easy it is to damage mostly anything. Have we still not gone far enough to be able to produce products that completely scuffed up by simply setting it on a table a dozen times :rolleyes:? One of the things I'm personally looking forward to in the future will be everything being nearly indestructible and impossible to put a permanent mark on :p. Seriously, though, I am. I hope it's the near future, it's the next logical step for manufacturers to work towards.

8. Man on the moon macrumors regular

"You know, for the last 2 phones, I kicked myself for babying my phone with cases and screen protectors, only to sell it to someone in pristine condition"

This is what's stopping me from selling my 3GS. Ha Ha!! Someone will get my iPhone w/apple care and in excellent condition. I don't need the $, rather keep it.

9. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

After 11 months my caseless 3GS was still mint.

1. What else goes in the iphone pocket? Wallet only.

2. Black gaffer tape on the back.

Those two rules were enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

That's impressive, Dan. Is that as far as your "rules" go? Do you not care if you throw your iPhone onto a surface, or set it on a surface that isn't soft? By the way, what's black gaffer tape used for?

11. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

im happy with IS. i've used it on my 2G, 3G, and 3GS. I decided to go with BG for iP4.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why would you throw your iPhone on a hard surface?

That's like saying, "Do you not care if you hit it with a hammer?"

13. ce242 macrumors newbie

My 3G came though with nothing but a few very minor (hardly noticeable) scuff marks on the plastic at the back. This is 2 years with no case. The screen itself was perfect.

If you keep it your pocket and have nothing else in there (my right hand pocket always contains just my phone and headphones, you are are pretty low risk of getting scratches.

Cases on a product like an iPhone really detract from it for me, its just a beautiful device, feels strange to pay such a premium only to cover it up.

Going to get a bumper type case this time round, as I think the metal around the outside is the main part that will likely get scratches, the glass itself is pretty resilient.

14. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

Uh...are you serious? My iPhone is always on hard surfaces (desk, table tops, etc...). I certainly don't baby it and make sure something cushy and soft is beneath it at all times. My iPhone is tossed onto hard surfaces all the time, and is still in great shape, which is why I have a shell on it. Some people worship their iPhones just a bit too much.

How is his comment even remotely similar to "hitting it with a hammer"?

15. jonnyb macrumors 65816

It's glass - front and back

16. TemeculaMac macrumors regular

You're thinking of the new 4. This thread is referencing the 3G/GS ;)

17. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I'm caseless and have been for about 6 months or so. It got to the point with cases that I kept finding every time I took one off that something got in between the case and the Iphone back and rubbed, leaving a mark. I felt I was better off taking my chances. I was right. Since I went "naked" my Iphone hasn't gained any significant marks, and only the chrome Apple shows any real wear. Granted, this is a white Iphone, and it shows less than black would, but even examining light reflections on the back show very few serious problems - what is there is there due to cases (Griffin Wave - the worst, Iskin Solo, Switcheasy CapsuleNeo, and my favorite, the Speck Candyshell.) All allowed grit in between them and the Iphone, so I found myself constantly removing them to keep them clean. It was aggravating and stressful.

Whatever the back of the Iphone is, it's not simply plastic. Most Iphone cases are "just plastic" and they scuff and scratch very easily. The Iphone does not. It seems to have some kind of very hard coating on it. I'm impressed with it, but not with the back material itself, which we all know has a tendency to produce stress fractures, and mine has those a-plenty. I don't know that any case will protect against those, unfortunately.

18. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

In any regard, the plastic is not going to be "like new" which is what the OP wanted to know.

Sure, you won't get horrible scratches is you are careful with the phone, but you will get the light scratches that will keep you from saying the phone is in fact, "like new".

I have a Countour case that covers the glass next to the Home button. Some stuff got under the case there and even put a couple pock marks in my glass. :(

19. No ice please macrumors 6502

I haven't used a screen protector on my iPhone for about 3 maybe 4 months and its still nice but, I'm like Dan I only have my iPhone in my pocket with nothing else keeping it company. Except the skull candy case that protects the back.

Edit: black gaffer tape is pretty much duck tape am I right?

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

1. We are talking about not having a case on here, so fail.

[​IMG]