Can I go to Apple instead of AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thor79, Jul 11, 2008.

1. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

I'm curious.
    I have an AT&T account, and I know I'm not eligible for the lower pricing, and obviously (from my sig), I'm not a current iPhone customer.
    If there's no question about eligibility will Apple sell me a phone for my account at the full price?

I ask because I foresee AT&T stores continuing to have problems with stock...meanwhile the Apple stores in the area have plenty (there is one exception, but it's not the store I plan to go to).

2. thor79 thread starter macrumors 6502

thor79

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

Sure, as long as you do not have a FAN tied to your account. You can purchase at the $399/$499 pricing. :apple:

4. thor79 thread starter macrumors 6502

thor79

Cool. No FAN. The only discount I can get is equipment discount from my school...and that doesn't apply to the iPhone.

Apple store here I come.

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Wait, that sounds like a FAN. Is this "equipment discount" from / for AT&T?

FAN = Foundation Account Number = AT&T Discount on service and or equipment (cell phones). Be very careful here, Apple can't process any account that has a business / school discount applied.

6. thor79 thread starter macrumors 6502

thor79

I have access to an equipment discount through my school (checked it on the AT&T site). I have not used it. No discount is applied to my account.

My account is a single line personal account with a smartphone on it. 450 minute plan with mediaNet unlimited and texting disabled. No discounts have ever been applied. My Upgrade eligible date is 10/7/2008 (October 7th) according to the AT&T site.