CAN I GO WIRELESS WITH G4’s OS 10.2 & 10.3?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gimmiegolf, Jan 17, 2009.

1. gimmiegolf macrumors newbie

gimmiegolf

I am a new member trying to figure out how to go wireless with my PB and iBook G4’s running 10.3.9 and my iMac G4 running 10.2.8. I would only be networking Time Warner cable internet. The current Airport base stations require OS 10.4 or higher. I would like to avoid upgrading now because I would also need more RAM in the iMac G4, OS 10.2, which I plan to replace in about a year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

the 10.4 requirements are because to configure an apple airport base stations you have to run a program on the mac.

as long as you have an airport card in the computer, there are several options for base stations out there (dlink, linksys, among others) that will let you configure from a web page.
    Any wireless network should work, apple just took what everyone else was using, and gave it a fancy name.

You'll not need 802.11N as that is fairly recent and probably not supported by your hardware. You'll want to look for 802.11B/G (sometimes referred to as just G without the B)

Just look for a "wireless G router" and pretty much anything that come up should work, as long as you have the correct hardware in your computers.

3. gimmiegolf thread starter macrumors newbie

gimmiegolf

Thanks for your reply. It was just the information I was looking for and could not find elsewhere. This forum is a great resource.