Can I have my MBP correct my typos on the fly like the Iphone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danedane5, Jun 17, 2008.

1. danedane5 macrumors member

danedane5

You know when you are typing on the Iphone it just corrects your mistakes? can i make my laptop do the same?:confused:

2. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

not that i know of. that type of thing is not as effective when ur typing up reports. it might guess the wrong word and you'll never notice since one usually types faster on real keyboards and won't be looking at each word individually.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You can turn the spelling check on and it will underline everything that it thinks is wrong. You can do Command-: to go through the document and correct any mistakes. I personally hate automatic correction. First, very often I know what I intended to write and just because some stupid spelling checker disagrees doesn't mean it has the right to make changes. Second, spelling checkers are often not clever enough. Letting them do things automatically is asking for trouble. As an example, the grammar checker doesn't like the Command-: that I wrote before, but it is exactly what I intended.

4. danedane5 thread starter macrumors member

danedane5

okay dokey yeah it underlines it red, i was just wondering if it could auto correct, since i wont be typing any essays or reports till August ha, thanks though.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In all honestly, the iPhone has auto-correction because the keyboard can have a lot accidental presses; if you're going to have accidental presses on the MBP keyboard then you need to practice you typing a bit more.

6. cdavi060 macrumors regular

have to admit id like the feature for things like iChat or something when typing quickly

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

you can do auto correct in pages
    open pages preferences, click correction, then the plus to add your own words
    [​IMG]

8. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Or you can just download firefox 3, it has built in spell check.

9. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Or you can just use Safari 3, it has built in spell check ;)

10. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Although not strictly what you want, the closest built in feature I can think of in Mac OS is the Word Completion feature. Press Escape while you're in the middle of typing a word and it'll bring up all the suggestions of what it thinks you're trying to type. For certain apps Escape won't work and you'll have to use Option-Escape. Note this only works in Cocoa apps such as TextEdit.

Damn, this is the one feature (along with inactive scrolling) that I miss the most when using Windows. It was so useful when I wasn't sure about the spelling of a particular word and I used to use it all the time when writing in these forums!