Can I have the MBA on my lap and on the bed ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gihad, Aug 14, 2011.

1. gihad, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

gihad macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just got my MBA which is my first Apple computer, is it ok to use it on my lap or on the bed ?
    I would think it's ok because there are no openings at the bottom, but it gets really hot there after a while and I heard that the MBA dissipates heat thorough it's aluminum body.

What do you think ?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's fine to use it however you want. You control the computer, not the other way around.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes. It gets a little warm under load, but it's fine.

4. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

My MBA tends to get a little toasty if I use it for prolonged periods or watch TV programmes on it while it's sitting on the bed or other material - just stick something under it to raise it off the bed clothes.

5. n1tut macrumors regular

n1tut

As I am retired mine spends most of its time on my lap or on the duvet. Does not even get warm on my lap, flat on the duvet it can get warm depending on workload but never hot.

2010 11.6" basic.

tut

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

What at the same time ? it depends how close your lap is to the bed ;)

(but yeah I use mine and it's grand).

7. qwerf123 macrumors regular

8. 2IS Suspended

My MBA is used on my lap or bed about 70% of the time and no issues.

9. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Sometimes I fall asleep and wake up to find that I had rolled on top the MBA. it works great.

10. gihad thread starter macrumors newbie

I was looking at the bottom of the MBPs in the mall today and they are also solid, not just the MBA. I guess the engineers expected that people will sometimes use these laptops on their laps and they have incorporated that into the design of these products.

11. Formul macrumors member

It does not tend to get that hot on the bottom, only slightly warm, although i find it kinda uncomfortable on the lap because there are several sharp edges on the machine .. like the bottom of the display on the back or the front if you try to prop it up against your legs. Otherwise its fine.

12. qwerf123 macrumors regular

It's the reason why many manufacturers in recent years refer to their mobile PCs as notebooks instead of laptops.

They want people not to think they can't really do it any longer due to the more powerful PCs available which produce loads more heat and most expell their heat through vents on the bottom therefore causing overheating if on laps.

Brilliantly, there are none of these on the MBA as apple have done a good job so you shouldnt have to worry

13. Asmod4n macrumors member

Sure, doing it all day with the 11" i7, when playing games i would recommend wearing jeans ^^