Can I hook up a second monitor to the new iMacs? Specifically the 27?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jdad, Nov 2, 2009.

1. jdad macrumors newbie

here's a second question, I know I can use the imac as a second screen for my mbp, but can I use my mbp as a secrond screen for my imac?

It doesn't make much sense to have the slower/older/less memory/ less storage computer driving the big new fast one.

So, can I use my iMac to output to my MBP?

(I don't know the answer for sure, but I am guessing no)

2. jdad thread starter macrumors newbie

So all I would need is a MiniDisplay to DVI connector and then I could connect a second display?

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

yes. up to 30" 2560 X 1600.

iMacs have been able to do a second display for many, many years.

Right in the tech specs, not really hard to find:

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no, you need a DVI connector to Display Port connector. that is apples 'new' technology.

that will then work :)

5. jdad thread starter macrumors newbie

6. at2wells macrumors newbie

As the others have mentioned, of course you can set up a second display. What you need all depends on what your second display is. For instance, Im new to mac, but Im going to keep my old monitor and use it to throw iTunes over on so Im not switching back and forth. The old 17" Hp flatscreen I have is a VGA hookup, so Ill need a mini-to-VGA. Just go to apple's website, they have everything there and do a pretty good job about telling you in the product descriptions what it is you will need and what each adapter will work with.

7. jdad thread starter macrumors newbie

here's a second question, I know I can use the imac as a second screen for my mbp, but can I use my mbp as a secrond screen for my imac?

It doesn't make much sense to have the slower/older/less memory/ less storage computer driving the big new fast one.

So, can I use my iMac to output to my MBP?

(I don't know the answer for sure, but I am guessing no)

8. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

In short, no.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the answer is no, but you can do this using software. its a bit slow though.