Can I hook up an external monitor to my macbook by wireless

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ixi, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ixi macrumors newbie

Would I use an Airport Express? Kind of new to wireless and what you can and can't do. Thanks.

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

No. "Wireless" is for networking.

You could use wireless to connect to another computer that has a display attached to it and use that computers display, but you'll be seeing that computer, not your own.

Cheers.

3. King Luis macrumors 6502

i think what the OP means is connect his macbook to a monitor or tv without a cable going directly to it.
    like an output signal from the macbook's monitor port to an input receiver connected to the monitor or tv's input port.

4. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Yeah, like wireless video?

Nope, sorry. I agree that it would / will be nice when we can do that. Choose which display device to project onto, but we're not there yet I'm afraid.

Cheers.

5. jmsmd macrumors newbie

when i was ordering my macbook the salesman mentioned that it's possible to connect it to a stereo wirelessly and control music etc from anywhere around the house. Firstly how do i do this and secondly is it poss to do the same with video or as to OP asked the entire screen output?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A Mac Mini, Remote Desktop, and screen sharing.

An expensive method (900-1200) to avoid a $10 cable.

7. ixi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, that's what I was trying to describe. Too bad it's not possible.

8. don22b macrumors newbie

ext monitor

D-Link DPG-2100 / is a device for the PC's..don't know if they write an Apple driver for this...check it out ..it works great for the PC

9. mikalh78 macrumors regular

theres a new tv coming out from LG where you can have video sent to the TV via a wireless receiver. all the tv needs to do is to be plugged in and the video is sent from the receiver to the box wirelessly.

10. Giniana macrumors newbie

ask a question?

When I bought my Macbook, way last year (2008), then when I bought the N router and a bunch of cables, then when I called various support people, eveyone said OH SURE, you can set up your Macbook to display on your LCD TV! Hey, no problem!
    THEY LIED. There is no nicer way of saying it, they did lie. You cannot use your TV as a wireless monitor. You don't allow cursing on here or I'd use a few choice words.
    I love you because you are fallible human beings, but you are a pack of ******* liars!:mad:

11. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Well... I'm not sure if it'd work but...

Wireless hub with a USB port. Samsung USB monitor. I mean it'd kinda be the same as wireless printing, but with a monitor. Though it'd be a hog for bandwidth, and probably lag and break up every time you switched on the kettle, but I suppose it would, technically speaking, be possible.

12. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

It would be really neat to be able to do that in the future, i would be one of the first buyers of such device.

13. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Pretty sure the connecting to the TV would have fallen in the "bunch of cables" catagory more so than the "wireless N" catagory :confused::confused:

14. sonspot macrumors member

your funny, do you do any research on your own; cannt believe your blaming this on someone else, not cool..

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They are retail salesmen, the only difference between the amount or lies coming out of their mouth and a telemarketers is you don't need a phone to hear the lies.

16. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Do a google search - there's a lot of technology coming out to connect your computer to a display wirelessly, at least as a secondary display, but it won't plug into your airport, you'd have to drop about $150 for the special adaptors.